How do I get papers for my dog??

We got a puppy...(Pure bread) and the owner said that he has papers but we have to go to the website to get them and they gave us the site and the information on the puppys mom and dad. I was having a hard time figuring out how to do it. I called the number but the office is closed. Anyone know what I should do? Isn't it the breeder suppossed to give us the papers for us? Thankyou!

maderacaligirl

Asked by maderacaligirl at 7:54 PM on Dec. 26, 2008 in Pets

• Wow, that sucks. Now you will have to pay to get the papers. And I'm guessing since your dog has "papers" than you paid upwards of $300. You should have made the breeder get them. Now since you ahve already paid for the dog and agreed you would get them, you can't even try to get mad about it. Call the office after the holidays and just deal with a person. And have your credit card ready...Merry Christmas, right?
    The fact that breeders are bringing more lives into this world when there are THOUSANDS that die every day because they are unwanted never seizes to amaze me. Selfish selfish selfish crappy people. Sorry you got ripped.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 8:00 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• I second that!
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 8:45 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• OO..OK, thanks...so aparently they were suppossed to get them. I had no idea at all. I've never done this before...and yes I paid 300.00. BUT there is good news to this (hopefully) We baught it from DH's aunt and while on the website it said the breader can get free papers since the dogs are already registered SOOO I'm Hoping she will get thim since it isn't a stranger on the street, but who knows?? If she breeds dogs she should know right? I hope they don't make me pay for them since they can get them for free and just by calling, since it said you can get them by calling also. Thanks for the info though!! I'll call her up and ask her what she thinks.
    maderacaligirl

Answer by maderacaligirl at 8:57 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• OH, and just so you know we are planning on getting our puppy neutered (sp) cuz I agree that a lot of animals die because there is no room for them in shelters and people get rid of animals left and right and anmals are having more and more babies.
    maderacaligirl

Answer by maderacaligirl at 8:59 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Cngrads on your new pet and I hope all works out for you, and your new baby. Merry Christams!
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 9:06 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• It will cost you $20 to register your dog IF the breeder gave you the correct information, and registered the litter. It free for her to do this so don't understand why she didn't have the papers ready for you to send in. There is a large possibility that what you got was NOT a pedigree dog. but papers or not, if you love her that's what counts, but turn the breeder in to the American Kennel Club, as they take great exception to this sort of shady doings.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 9:20 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• The only way you can register a dog is if the dog is AKC that is American Kennel Club and the CKC that is the Candian Kennel Club.If you do your research well and do not go in there blind like you do not know what you are doing then it is partly your fault.I have boxers.The bredders I deal with have contracts made up and when you register the pup they come with a mumber.You should do your research online first or read a book about the breed you want to buy .I raise boxers and I educate myself on how to raise them,buy them ,where to buy them,their temperment,etc.It is probably not a purebreed and to navy wife stop talking so much crap .I am sure your husband is tired to of it.
    Anonymous

• I agree with pagan_mama - turn that breeder in to the AKC. I wouldn't trust a breeder that made me track down my own paperwork. A good breeder makes sure you have this information. A good breeder is one that not just wants to pass on a good bloodline - they want to keep it strong and healthy.
    ElderGothMom

Answer by ElderGothMom at 2:00 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• The breeders register the puppies. The new owners have to pay for the actual papers. You have to have the registration number of your dog.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 2:54 PM on Dec. 30, 2008