For those of you that don't believe in God or Hell...

I'm just curious what do you base your beliefs on?

I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just curious, I promise.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:03 PM on Dec. 26, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Which beliefs would those be? I base my belief in family on the love and devotion of my husband and children. I base my belief in friendship on the loyalty of the very best friend a girl could ask for...her name is Stacy and I've been lucky to have her as my BFF for the last 25yrs. I base my belief in equality by having grown up in the south and seeing how minorities are treated. I base my belief in helping the poor based on my growing up in poverty. I base my belief in education and logic and rational thinking based on my own reading and research and looking at how the world works. I believe that covers most of them...
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 8:08 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• I think she was asking how do you explain then how we ,you were put on this earth? How or why are we here? Do you have a theory? Not being rude or dis repectiful either I'd like to know too.
    mothermayiam

Answer by mothermayiam at 8:11 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• why wouldn't we believe in him...look around you...look at all the beautiful things that he made yes man made it but God made man. I know their r alot of people who don't believe in him but that is their problem I am staying on his side. And pray for those who don't believe.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 8:16 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• People aren't born believing in God or Hell. If it isn't proven, it isn't so. That's it. Everyone isn't raised in a faith or believe the faith they were raised in. It is a matter of not believing rather than believing, IMO. Not everyone researches to aquire a belief system.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 8:19 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• I base my beliefs on what I can pick up with my senses. What I can see, touch smell, hear and taste. Rational thinking, logic and all that jazz Mizkaye said. to answer mothermayjam I don't care how or why we are here. I exist because my dad's sperm fertilized my mom's egg the cells divided and about 9 months later here I am. That's proven. Of course we have theories. Big Bang being one of them. But sweetie I haven't been around since the earth was here so I don't know. I do know I didn't have anything to do with it. And you don't either. Unless you're god you can't say 100% that you created it. So that's your theory. Any specific belief you'd like to know about??
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:23 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Well, I can only answer for myself and I was put on this Earth by the process of reproduction whereas my mother and father had sex and an egg met a sperm and 'voila'...here I am...pretty simple. It is not my area of expertise to say 'how' we got here...I'll leave that one to the scientist who are much smarter than I...as to the 'why' I am here...I don't believe I have any special purpose nor am I here for divine reasons...I'm here and now what happens to me and how I live my life is up to me. I have one chance to be here so I will live my life to the best of my ability. I will try not to cause harm to anybody or anything (cont'd)
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 8:24 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Personally, I say it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter where we're from, where we're going, etc. The fact is that no matter how much you theorize, speculate, ponder, etc. you're still in the same place and doing the same thing.

Its better to just try and be the best kind of person you can be (whatever that personally means to you) regardless of what everyone else thinks and/or does.

Religion is supposed to be a guideline to being a better person, not a way of life or to worship someone/thing.
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 8:24 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• (cont'd) I will raise my children in the same way. I will enjoy the world and the people that inhabit it to the best of my ability. I will try to live as peacefully as I can and get by as best I can. I will love my children...I will drink good wine and eat good chocolate...I will make love as often as I can to my husband...I will delight in babies and puppies...I will sing along to the radio...I will ride my horses and sleep in high thread count sheets...I will try to remember to call my grandmother...I will pass my books along to my oldest son, my music to my middle son and my jewelry to my daughter. I will...in short...just 'BE' and enjoy what I can for as long as I can...and that's all I can do...
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 8:27 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• there are those of us who do not believe in "god" . Me it is because i have no proof. I do believe in Karma
    Anonymous

• I believe in reincarnation firmly! I know about my past lives and I am sure I will have many more!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:28 PM on Dec. 26, 2008