MY EIGHT MTH OLD SON REFUSES TO EAT SOLIDS AND ONLY WANTS HIS MILK. WHAT DO I DO? I'M REALLY WORRIED THAT HE'S NOT GETTING ENOUGH NUTRITION.

melissa120

Asked by melissa120 at 8:18 PM on Dec. 26, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Formula/breastmilk has all the nutrition that an infant needs for the first year of life. The only solid that has a nutritional value is the rice cereal. You can keep trying to get him ready for solids when he is bigger though. Some babies hate baby food. Have you tried giving him real food like applesauce or mashed bananas? Gerber makes some baby cookies too that babies hold and suck on. Maybe your child will go straight for finger foods? If you are really worried talk to the doc, but try not to stress it. Your doc would have mentioned it was something to worry about if he wasn't gaining weight or seemed under nourished.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:29 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• If he is drinking his formula, then he is getting all the nutrition he needs.

Keep trying with the solids, as a snack, or after he has had his bottle.

Formula and/or Breastmilk will fulfill all his nutritional needs until he is a year old, but you should still try feeding him as "Practice" so that when it is time to eat on a regular basis he is familiar with it.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 8:25 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• If he's not eating real food, he shouldn't be drinking milk in the first place!

If you mean breastmilk and/or formula, then he IS getting all of his nutrition.

I agree with beckcorc....give finger or table foods a try....and talk to your doctor.

Baby food isn't a necessity. It's only for practice and it's not imperative that babies eat it. There is NO need for it and they can go right to table foods...either diced up or mashed with a fork.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:47 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Most children are not fully ready for solids properly until way into their 2 year. My son is 13 months old and the majority of time is still breastfed..he chooses when he wants solids (which is increasing). but its perfectly normal.

Be patient..he will eat in his own time.

Not sure what you mean by milk..but what others say its plenty.

You could also try mashing up some avocado (good for fat content) or mushing melons/oranges/mangoes...any fruits for nutrition.

My son also likes green smoothies.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 9:39 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Make him a bowl of Ramen Noodles, Macaroni and Cheese, Eggs with cheese, green beans, peas, bananas, grapes sliced in halfs or fours, just put it infront of him or near him give him alittle of it just to see if he is interested. Don't worry he will eventually eat.
    Have you started him with a sippiy cup it is never too early to start you can show it to him he will be interested but not know how to use it he may try to put it to his mouth but not know how to suck. He will get the idea. Just call these items what they are called don't confuse him. GL And be patient.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 10:12 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• I'm sorry, but Ramen Noddles are sooooo unhealthy. Its nothing but fat and sodium. I wouldn't but that any where near my baby!
    Anonymous

• He's fine. Food at this age is for three things:
    To learn to eat off of a spoon (and later with a spoon)
    To experiment with different flavors
    To experiment with different textures.
    Food will not be his main source of food for a few more months.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:27 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• If he's getting breastmilk or formula, then he's getting PLENTY of nutrition. Solids offer nothing but taste and texture. I'll also disagree on rice cereal...it has NOTHING to commend it but blandness. The vitamins and iron in it are in the milk he gets.

No worries till the first birthday.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:43 AM on Dec. 27, 2008