How does emancipation in new jersey work?

my ex to be has filed a motion for emancipation of my son who is 19 but my ex is also 45,000 dollars in the arrears of child support. HELP

cookie771967

Asked by cookie771967 at 8:19 PM on Dec. 26, 2008 in Relationships

• I thought that you had to be under 18 to be emancipated because you are an adult at age 18, he should still have to pay the back child support.
    Anonymous

• I'm not sure how it would work there but in the state of Oklahoma you would still receive the child support until the amount owed is cleared. My mother is still receiving c/s on my sister and I...she is 26 and I am 21.
    BBowMommy

Answer by BBowMommy at 8:43 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• In florida you recieve until it is paid up--or if the child is in college here the parent must still pay until they graduate from college. But 18 is legally an adult and can't be emancipated at that point.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:40 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• your ex is an idiot but let him waste his money to let the court tell him that. I'm receiving back child support and my baby is 30! You would think he would use the atty fee money to pay on his arrearage. what a jerk to not want to help his own child. He should really look up the definition of emanicipation

Answer by admckenzie at 10:14 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• He's a jackass. I agree with admckenzie. The judge will make it clear that he is loser father and owes the money, period.
    Anonymous

• he will still owe the back support no matter what. emacipating the kid does NOT forgive the back support.
    Anonymous

• heehee tell him good luck with that
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 2:20 AM on Dec. 27, 2008