Do you take baths with your child? At what age did you start/stop?

I want to, but I lije my water really hot . . . it would be a mighty fast bath, because I wouldnt be able to handle the water!!!

BridgetC140

Asked by BridgetC140 at 8:23 PM on Dec. 26, 2008 in General Parenting

• I say do what you want. I think this is all personal opinion and there is no right or wrong. Its really about modesty and how much you want to have in your family. We never really took showers with our parents as kids but I was also very concervative and so closed minded growing up. Now that I have 3 boys of my own, its completely opposite. Some people would gasp that we take showers together, but in our house its completely normal to walk around butt naked and we're not the shy modest type any more. Oh, and I take really hot baths and my husband takes really cold showers, my baby likes the really hot, but my oldest likes it like his dad...lol, they'll let you know what they like. :)
    ranze11617

Answer by ranze11617 at 11:11 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• I have never done that and never will, just my opinion and choice.
    Anonymous

• Yeah I do and would do often but my son spends the entire time splashing............and there is not enough towels to soak it up - good thing is he exhausts himself though LOL...but I agree with the bath water thing..I tend to do it less now it is cold because I can't stand it..and if I want it quick well he gets moody!
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 8:32 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• I take baths with my daughter and so does my husband. WE have a big garden tub and take baths together often as well. She will be one in 6 days. I like my water super super hot and so does she. I took baths with my mom untill I was older like in middle school and I still sit in the bathroom and talk to her or my sisters while they take a bath when I am in town. Being naked is no big deal in my house. Of course, I was raised in the middle of nowhere where it's acceptable to run around in your undies outside in the summer and go skinny dippin in the river. LOL Listen to your child, they will let you know when they are uncomfortable with the idea of you seeing them in the tub. My little brother was around 5ish when I stopped putting him in the shower with me cause he didn't like me to see him naked anymore. When he was 5 I was 17 and his main caregiver.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 8:33 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• I never did. When they were very small I didn't trust that they wouldn't use the bathroom in the tub.

Answer by Bmat at 8:33 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• I take a shower with my DD. I have given up my only alone time to do this, but she is to splashy in the infant tub, and can't quite sit up in the big tub yet. We will stop when we or she feels uncomfortable with it. MY SO does it too. Not at all abnormal to do this I guess.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:37 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• I took a bath with my oldest son when he was a baby but I have 3 kids now and I would not get in the tub with all 3 of them, its too much chaos
    Krystle21

Answer by Krystle21 at 9:56 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Not baths, but showers. My daughter is 2 1/2 right now and plays in the tub with her toys while I'm showering. I like the water hot too but by the time the water hits down where she is, it's cooler...the closer you are to the spout the hotter it is. She's fine with it as long as I turn the water down when I go to rise her head or what-not.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:47 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• I've done both bath and showers. At this point they are too old for me to take a bath with but if we are in a hurry I will toss them in the shower with me. But that is strictly soap up, rinse and smack the wall to see daddy come running.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 1:12 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I've taken my baby in the shower with me. And she enjoyed it but I only did it a couple of times. I just had to deal with the not so HOT water I usuaully use. I usually just bathed her frist and then called my b/f in and he'd come get her and dry her off and dress her while I turned the heat up and finished. I'd say when they start pointing out body parts like ears hands nose... you should probably stop.
    dtetz

Answer by dtetz at 9:28 AM on Dec. 27, 2008