What would you do? A question about a Christmas gift that was given to my hubby and I?

Ok so here is the deal. My Mom and Dad bought us a washing machine, among other gifts and a whole ton of gifts for our kids. They got us a brand new washer paid for the delivery and paid for Sears to take our old washer. Don't get me wrong I am really greatful. We are not really in a position to buy a brand new washer but maybe we could have fixed our old one or something. My parents could well afford it, I am not worried about that at all. I just can't believe how much they spent on it and I feel bad. What should i do? Should I tell them I can't accept it? What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:31 PM on Dec. 26, 2008 in Holidays

• I would thank them, be grateful. When some time passes, let them know how much you appreciate it, but you don't want them to help you with basic things like washers, if that's the case. If you really don't care about it, let them help you when they want to and accept it graciously. They should have asked you first but they were being generous and thinking of you. It may sound silly to them to ask them not to do something like that in the future but you are the one to make that decision, whatever it is.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 8:34 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Be grateful. They wouldn't have done it if they didn't want to help.
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 8:34 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• I would accept it and be grateful. Parents are happy when they can help their children, young and old alike.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 8:35 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Your parents can afford it, and you needed it...I'm not seeing a problem!

Perhaps if you're feeling "guilty" about the expense of the item, you could invite them over for a nice home cooked dinner, and then show them how 'grateful" you are for their gift by using your new dishwasher to clean up afterwards! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:35 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• If they can afford it, I think it's fine. However, if they know you are needing money, it would've been a better gesture for them to pay to fix your old one and give you money. *shrugs* My MIL is the same way. I used to feel bad about taking things from her but she can afford it and I am slowly getting used to the idea. lol Be grateful and prepare to safe a few bucks on utilities cause the new washers are super energy savers.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 8:35 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Thank them with a smile and tell them how much you appreciate it. It will be something that should last a long time now. They probably feel wonderful that they could help you out in such a way. Your gift to them can be letting them have this wonderful feeling. :) They gave the gift in generosity. It will also make them feel good if you toss it into the conversation lightly from time to time.- How the new machine fills so much faster and uses less water and so forth. It is nice to be as generous a receiver as it is to be a generous giver.

Answer by Bmat at 8:40 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• personally I would say thank you and the next few times you talk with them tell them about how much you love it. Personally if I got someone a large gift like that, I would be hurt and offended if they did not accept it. Smile and enjoy.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 8:42 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Feel the guilt, then let it pass! Woohoo! A new washer!!! I always feel guilty when my Mom gives me things that are expensive, but in all honesty, she loves to see me happy.. so I am extremely grateful and make sure she knows I love it. ENJOY IT!!!
    Anonymous

• Thank them graciously and keep the damn thing.lol. They obviously wanted to do this for you and your family. They dont care if you could have fixed the old one THEY wanted You to have a NEW ONE. I think it was a very thoughtful gift for your family.
    I dont think a gift should ever make you feel guilty especially if it was given out of thoughtfulness
    ReneeLRS

Answer by ReneeLRS at 8:51 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Can I be adopted? Call me crazy but I would have loved it for someone to buy me a new washer even for Christmas. I think they feel this is something you need and can use. If the old one got fixed, how long till something ele needs to be fixed on it. New is best. You have kids. I know they only go thru 1 outfit a day, right? and hubby never gets dirty? Be grateful they thought this out enough to get ehat you need vs more junk to clutter their room.
    WAganma56

Answer by WAganma56 at 9:26 PM on Dec. 26, 2008