Can someone please tell me the name/symptoms of the shot that ped. give for croup?

I brought my almost 2 year old to the doctors today at noon for a horrible night cough. They said croup was going around and that might be what she was getting so they gave her a steroid shot, but didnt tell me the name of it. I always get names and do research and for some reason I forgot today. Anyway for the last 3 hours she has been extremely fussy, crying,screaming,still coughing,cant sleep,ect. I just want to see if it is from the shot because it is def. not her normal self. Thanks

asholan_07

Asked by asholan_07 at 8:48 PM on Dec. 26, 2008 in Health

• It is most likely prednisone. That is what they give my daughter when she gets croup. You can have it in shot form or an oral steroid. Make sure that if her cough gets really bad at night to take her outside and let her breath in some nice cold air, do not give her milk (likely to make her cough more to clear her throat), and use a COOL air humidifier in her room. My daughter has had croup four times now and the last time she had it she ended up in the hospital with it and stryder syndrome too. She could barely breathe.
    KlousMomi

Answer by KlousMomi at 1:16 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Pertusis/ Whooping cough. It is a terrible cough that won't go away --sounds similar to croup. It was a steroid--their are many differant names just depends on what they order. There really aren't any side effect unless they are given oral steroids.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:56 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• My son was treated with a steroid last year for croup but it was an oral liquid steroid, not a shot. It's helps decrease the inflamation in the throat so they can breathe easier and rest.

I'm not sure about side effects but it did the trick for my son.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:57 PM on Dec. 26, 2008