I just dont understand?

My 4 month old will not breastfeed. I am so stressed becuase I love love love breast feeding. It was so hard for me to go back to school becuase i knew the risks of him getting "lazy" becuase of the bottle and it seems as though that is exactly what happened I just dont know what to do, any ideas? Should I just let him wean himself or should I try harder to keep him breastfeeding?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:49 PM on Dec. 26, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Keep trying. If it doesn't work you can invest in a good pump. Then your LO will still get the good stuff. If this is something that works for you let me know if you need help or suggestions. I exclusively pump b/c I know that it is what is best for my DD. Good luck Momma!!!!
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:52 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• My son went through a couple of phases when he didn't seem to want to nurse for a few days. I'd just pump and let him have bottles thinking we might be done nursing. Then after a while he'd nurse again. He's 16 months old and we still nurse twice a day and now he never turns it down. I'd be patient and see what happens.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 8:52 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• My mom felt the same way when I was an infant. She wanted to breast feed until I was one and a half or two, but by the time I was 6 months old I weened myself. I would just let him be, you can still cuddle with him like when he is breast feeding even after he stops.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 9:14 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Keep trying.

No baby weans at 4 months or 6 months.

Most babies are not even ready for solids way into their second year. (My son is 13 months old and is 95% time breastfed still).

If you cant feed you could pump.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 9:36 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• You're going to have to get rid of the bottles. Completely. Feed him formula through a sippy AFTER he's had a turn at the breast. A sippy will not satisfy his need to suck, so he'll have to do that on you. Every day drop a bit of the formula, so he'll have to nurse longer for the same nurishment, until it's gone or until you're at a level you're comfortable with. Use sippies instead of bottles in the future to help avoid nipple confusion. There's still a risk he'll develop a preference though, so you're better off with no formula.
    Anonymous

• Dump the bottles. No, he won't like it. Yes, that's OK...you're going to do many things he won't like in his life.

Please stop by the Breastfeeding Moms group for lots of help and support. We've helped MANY moms through nursing strikes and nipple confusion.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:32 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• i dont think you should force it on him if he doesnt want it, i know that you like to do it, but maybe its not what he wants, maybe the bottle is more comfortable for him? i dont know though. you should go with your gut, but dont force the issue, try every so often and if it doesnt work, buy a breast pump.....
    x_tinky_x

Answer by x_tinky_x at 12:02 AM on Dec. 28, 2008