My daughters habit

(I know this is going to sound kinda funny, but with a kid thats a risk you take!) My 2yr old has started picking her nose. I check to see if maybe something is bugging her nose, but its always clean. She doesnt sneeze a lot and her nose isnt runny. I watch and she never picks anything out. I tell her to stop and try to redirect her attention, but every time I turn around, there is she, diggin up her nose!! Could there be a reason shes doing it? What can I do about it?

janiebean

Asked by janiebean at 9:02 PM on Dec. 26, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe it itches? Could she have allergies? It isn't stuffy is it? I hope she doesn't get the notion of sticking objects up there. I wonder if you could put a little vicks on the finger that she uses, then she might become more aware of doing it when the vicks smell hits her nose.

Answer by Bmat at 9:05 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• some times I do that if it itches, other times I find myself doing it because I am bored. It is natural, I would just hand her a tissue when you see her doing it.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 9:12 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• mine dose it too, have you tried not giving her attention when she does it? just ignore the fact she is doing it. mabey she likes the reaction she gets from you. Kids will do things for all kinds of attention, i am not meaning to say you are not giving her attention, but my son, even if he sees me laugh at something he will keep doing it.
    Thalie

Answer by Thalie at 9:14 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Just take her to visit the doctor just in case kids tend to stick stuff up their noses you'd be surprise what they find (the doctors) I remember one day my little brother age 2 or 3 at the time. (now he is a grown man). At the time he kept messing with his nose we looked and checked and couldn't fine anything wrong so my parents took him to the doctor and would you believe he found one small bebe pellet in his nose just tucked away deep inside. Whew that was scary to know so please even if you think it's nothing take her anyway just for peace of mind.
    Maybe her nose tickles it could be anything just as long as she doesn't stick her finger in her mouth after picking her nose (now that is another story) kids tend to do that too. Yuck!!! GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:19 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• leave her to it..
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 9:33 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Just ignore it. My daughter has started doing this recently too, and I think it's just because she found something to stick her finger into! She never picks anything out of it. It's just a new thing to them, and they will grow out of it.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 10:11 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• My brother used to put his fingers up his nose when he discovered he had holes there. Just curious, I guess. It should pass. Keep doing what you are doing.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 11:02 PM on Dec. 26, 2008