Can I exclusively breastfeed my 2 and 1/2 month old after giving formula?

I'm currently struggling to nurse my 2 and 1/2 month old, but have started supplementing AGAIN, because I feel like my supply still isn't good enough. He doesn't have a super strong suck and gets bored very easily. I really need some experiences or tips so I don't give in to bottle feeding completely. By the way, I've successfully breastfed 5 of my children although I did have a brief nursing relationship with my preemie, but I did pump for awhile. Please just help me so I don't give in to formula. I'm taking Fenugreek, Mother's Milk Plus and just started Reglan although it makes me so drowsy. I need some help ladies!

By the way, I'd love to try Domperidone, but my midwife can't prescribe it to me. Any tips on getting Domperidone?

yonmomof5

Asked by yonmomof5 at 9:08 PM on Dec. 26, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can get domperidone online, no prescription needed. Do you live in the US or Canada? In the US it isn't even recognized by the doctors so you just order it online. Now, as for Reglan, I was on Reglan and now have seizures, about two per week, and was on Reglan for 5 weeks about 4 months ago. I would get off as soon as possible. I would also get a SNS (supplemental nursing system) It attaches to your nipple and the baby latches on but gets formula from a bottle that you wear around your neck. This makes sure that your nipple is getting stimulation because you know, nursing is a supply and demand thing. Best of luck, get an SNS and order some Domperidone and kick the Reglan.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 9:15 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Have you had your child examined? You say the latch isn't working right? Sometimes that can be a frenulum problem. Also I would nurse EVERYTIME baby is hungry. Top off with the bottle if you must and then pump more. I would pump between feedings too. Have you talked with LLLI? I am sure there is a number there that you could call or chat with someone online... Good Luck!
    CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 9:15 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Yes you can exclusively BF after giving formula. It will be a hard task on your part. Just kee[ putting baby to breast. If that doesn't work you can try exclusively pumping. It is hard, but the reward comes in knowing that you are doing the best for your baby. I have Exclusively pumping for 6 months now and it isn't easy, but well worth it. By the way we are having to supplement at this point because I am only producing half of what she needs for the day. Good luck I know that it is hard work, but the end result is what you are after.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:17 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Make sure you are hydrated...if your supply flags the most common cause is dehydration..so make sure you are getting plenty of water.

Also eat lots of fruits and greens :) (or even green smoothies...http://www.cafemom.com/group/greensmoothie)

Nurse everytime they are hungry.....

Trust yourself and your baby. I think sometimes mothers are too anxious and scared their child isnt getting enough but are probably fine.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 9:33 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• you can do it! if you are having trouble with supply, try tandem pumping instead of taking all that stuff. that's where you pump one breast while baby is on the other one, then switch. then you can either give him the milk right then or use it to supplement later on. as long as he's gaining weight, there is no reason to supplement with formula. if he legitimately needs formula,the biggest rule to follow is to never never give him a bottle (ebm or formula) until he's emptied both breasts, and never give more than 2 oz in a bottle. you want him on the breast as often as possible. GL mama and you CAN do it.

teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 11:06 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• YES, you can. Please stop by the Breastfeeding MOms group for help and encouragement. As long as your breasts are still on your body it's possible.

Domperidone is hard to get in the US. It's a special compound. And you may not need it. Over at Breastfeeding Moms we have a sticky post with every single supply increaser known to woman on it.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:30 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Even if you really CAN NOT breast feed, look into making your OWN formula from goat's milk. Much safer than formula. I believe it's the WHO who puts formula and goat's milk on the same nutrition level.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 12:56 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I'm sorry I'm just replying to the messages, but I've been so busy with homeschooling 5 out of 6 of my children, appointments, etc. Anyway, thanks ladies very much for the encouragement. I've decided that Domperidone would be a great help. By the way, my son is latching on to the nipple shield and I'm using the SNS, so no more bottles! I know better news is on the way. I'll try to update as time allows : )
    yonmomof5

Answer by yonmomof5 at 6:25 PM on Jan. 7, 2009