Lifting too much?

The past week i have been moving into another house. Both houses included flights of stairs. I wasnt aloud to lift anything really heavy, but some were pretty heavy.

At night of course i was exhausted and my back was killing me, also thepast two days with driving back and forth and such i havent had time to really eat much, maybe two small meals a day. now that its all over im taking it easy and eating great again.

my questions,
how does lifting a lot hurt the baby (im 17 weeks) and how do i know if something is too heavy?

SpiffyMom

Asked by SpiffyMom at 7:14 PM on Jul. 14, 2008 in Pregnancy

• My doctor told me not to lift things heavier than 25 pounds when I was prego. I am sure it has a lot to do with putting extra stress on your body.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:15 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• The way my doctor explained it to me is the lifting won't hurt the baby, but your body changes during pregnancy and it's easier for you to strain or pull something. Then if you do get hurt you can't take anything for it.  I think my doc said nothing over 20lbs. 

Take care of yourself!

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 7:16 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• i tried to not lift ANYTHING i was too scared, please be careful!!!
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 8:45 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• IT WON"T HURT THE BABY, BUT IT COULD PUT STRESS ON YOU AND PAIN AND THEN THE BABY MIGHT FEEL STRESSED. BUT I DONE IT WHEN I WAS PG AND I WAS FINE
    EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT SO IF IT HURTS DON"T DO IT!
    Anonymous

• my dr. told me just not to lift anything I didn't feel comfortable with... since I work at a grocery store I still regularly lifted 24 packs of soda and bags of dog food, I only stopped towards the end (or if one of my co-workers freaked and wouldn't let me lift it lol) when it got awkward to lift heavy things.... like PP said, it just eventually gets difficult to do, and if I even felt like I was going to lift it funny I wouldn't lift it... I'm sure that you will be fine....
    dance_chica

Answer by dance_chica at 9:15 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• It wont hurt the baby DIRECTLY. BUT indirectly when you hurt yourself...the baby is at risk. So be sure to think about what your doing and that you are carrying a little life so treat your body like gold until the baby is born.
    ajjc775

Answer by ajjc775 at 10:55 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I lifted weights when I was pregnant with my last. Up to 75 or 100lbs. It is how you do it that is important. You need to eat better, it is crucial.
    mommakline

Answer by mommakline at 12:00 AM on Jul. 15, 2008