Is smoking cirgarettes a sin?

my mom started smoking again and she said it is not a sin. What do u all think and do u know any bible verses? Thanks

hinson7169

Asked by hinson7169 at 10:10 PM on Dec. 26, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Smoking destroys the body, this is murder. Not just the body of the smoker, but also the bodies of those sharing the air with him/her. More than likely the smoker is addicted to nicotine. Addiction is enslavement, and enslavement to anything/anyone other than Christ is a sin. It becomes their "god". We can't serve two masters be it money, alcohol, food, gambling, ect.( Matthew 6:24; Romans 6:16; Philippians 3:19) We all know the dangers of smoking, and the benefits of avoiding cigarette smoke altogether. According to the Bible: ".. to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin." (James:4:17)
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 3:36 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• i have never heard that it is a sin? why would you say this?
    Karen_evans60

Answer by Karen_evans60 at 10:11 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• There are not any specific verses that I know of that deal specifically with smoking, but our bodies are the temple of the Lord and we need to take care of it. I try to let it be between God and the person doing it. If they are not convicted of it, then they are not going to change no matter what we do.
    Maddape48854

Answer by Maddape48854 at 10:12 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• if it is alot of people are in trouble i dont think it is myself, i smoked well i have quit now because i am pg again but i dont smoke around my son when i did i dont think that is right.
    Wyattsmom205

Answer by Wyattsmom205 at 10:13 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• I don't think its a sin, but I am a smoker. I am not too worried about it though, because I believe in a different religion so I'm not going to Hell for it.
    I don't really know what Christians believe, but can't you just ask for forgiveness and then you'll be okay in the end???
    Anonymous

• As far as specifically being listed in the bible as a sin no, but when one takes into consideration the fact we are supposed to consider our bodies the temple and they are very definite health hazards yes. I am a smoker and a christian. I plan on quitting this year. Simply because it can go from being a habit into and addiction meaning it can quickly take the place of a god in one's life. we get controlled by the desire for a cigarette far more then the desire for God.
    singedwingangel

Answer by singedwingangel at 10:34 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• if you go by the fact that it is harming her and anyone near her, then yes I think it could be considered a sin in that aspect.

Anonymous

• I'm not a smoker,but I think you can make anything a sin.I feel if you buy cigs before feeding your children,then you are making it a sin,same as drinking,gambling,drugs,but if you don't idolize it,then no it is not a sin.You will still go to heaven,just maybe a ittle quicker, ha ha
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 11:07 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• We are to treat our bodies as temples, I don't know what the exact verse is, but smoking harms your body, so technically it is a sin.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 11:08 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• No, I don't think so.  I have been a social smoker in the past (a pack would last 3 months or so), and have lived around heavy smokers all my life. My husband smoked 3 packs a day since High School and we both stopped 5 years ago for good: got so sick we couldn't smoke, and when we got better, we had no desire to light up. I don't believe smoking is harmful for everyone - I think certain people have a DNA body chemistry that makes certain things a health hazard, such a smoking cigarettes. I'm sure I'll have a lot of flack about this, but I don't care, this is just MPO.

I do not believe smoking is a sin or a real health issue for everyone.

snowgirl79

Answer by snowgirl79 at 11:22 PM on Dec. 26, 2008