what do you do when your children is have a full out fit or tantrum?

matthewsmama83

Asked by matthewsmama83 at 7:16 PM on Jul. 14, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try my best to ignore it while it's happening, and address it once they've settled down.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:19 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I recently have started putting him on a "tantrum mat". It's just an old bath mat, that I sit in the middle of front room floor (no TV or toys there) and tell him that it's ok if he wants to be mad, but this mat is they ONLY place he is allowed to cry and be mad. He was spending up to 45 mins there, but the more I do it, the less time it takes for him to get over it. Now, he automatically goes and sits down before he starts crying. Maybe, I used it too much ?LOL
    Ignore the tantrum and it will go away. When he finds out you're not paying attention to him, he'll realize it's not worth it.
    Good Luck!
    firefighinmommy

Answer by firefighinmommy at 7:21 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• i like the above answer thats cute, im used to punishing or spanking but now im recently starting to ignore it
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 8:44 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• ALWAYS HAVE THE UPPER HAND THEY JUST WANT THEIR WAY. UNLESS ITS A SPECIAL NEEDS CHILD.
    DO NOT GIVE IN NO MATTER AND LET YOUR NO BE NO AND YES BE YES.
    IF AT HOME THE CHILD WILL GET OVER IT IF YOU DON'T GIVE IN.
    HAPPY PARENTING!
    Anonymous

• I ignore it, but there are times when you give in. For example, last weekend my friends and their son joined us at our parade in town. Their son wanted to be carried, but they said "no, you have to walk." well, he threw an all-out crying fit and refused to stop screaming or get up at all. They tried to wait it out (seriously they let him go for like 10 min.), but eventually they needed to keep walking and get him off the sidewalk that others were trying to pass him on, so they picked him up and carried him away and gave him a time-out...but he got carried there. In those instances, I have no clue except to do a time-out on the spot.
    aschwer

Answer by aschwer at 10:27 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• STAY CALM! Be the adult and IGNORE IGNORE IGNORE (while making sure they are not harming themselves) Go get the book Nanny 911 by Jo Frost! It is an easy read and VERY HELPFUL.
    ajjc775

Answer by ajjc775 at 10:52 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• Try not to give in.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 11:02 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I say no. If they quiet enough for them to hear me. I tell them why their behavior is bad. I spank her if she doesn't settle down and tell her why I did it. Then I send her to the crib (2 1/2 year old) until she settles down.
    mommakline

Answer by mommakline at 11:58 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• ignore it the child will stop eventually.
    cara125

Answer by cara125 at 3:25 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• As long as he is not hurting himself, go about your business and don't let it get to you. I love the tantrum mat idea. Wish I would have thought of that 10 years ago! If they start in public, pick them up and leave, if you can. On more than one occasion I left a cart full of stuff in a store and went home. That stage passed quickly.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 11:34 AM on Jul. 15, 2008