How long do you TTC before seeing a fertility specialist?

You have two young people in perfect health TTC for 8 month, how long do you wait until you see a specialist?

GiannaRN

Asked by GiannaRN at 7:19 PM on Jul. 14, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I've heard 2 years...
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:19 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• A year. And, since it can take a few months to get in to see some specialists, you might want to start researching them now, just in case. And, like any other doctor visit, you might just find that the "problem" is resolved by the time the appointment comes up. If so, Congrats! :0)
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 7:26 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• You don't necessarily have to see a specialist. My boss and his wife were having trouble. After only a few months she went to a regular OB. They did a test and found out her hormone levels were low and put her on a prescription. She was pregnant two months after that. I would start there. If there's a bigger problem the OB can point you in the right direction after that.
    HaydensMommy708

Answer by HaydensMommy708 at 8:30 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I have been trying for 9 months now, and I just saw my fertility specialist for the first time today. Such an amazing day for me. We are doing a lot of tests and looking at every angle to make sure I get preggo soon! It was absolutely a wonderful experience to know that I am getting some answers!
    hopingfor5

Answer by hopingfor5 at 10:01 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• We had secondary infertility for 7 years. After we made a few changes we got pregnant. In February I will have 3 children under 3 years old, plus 11 year old twins. What I would do is to read a book about fertility. Also I would get an appointment with a Creighton Method Specialist. You chart your cycle and show it to a doctor trained in reading the charts, you will have blood tests and they will go further if they need to.
    I would make sure that the two of you are with each other everyother day at least. I used those fertility test strips for years without luck, they do not always work. I would take an herb called Vitex (this is how I got pregnant, it take a month for it to work--take 500mg a day or about 2-4 pills)..it is $6 a bottle. Eat a diet low in sugar, low in preservatives...basically a whole foods diet. After 1 year of really trying I would see a specialist, not counting right now unless you have been really active sexually and are eating a pure diet.
    mommakline

Answer by mommakline at 11:55 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• After about a year I would talk to the Dr. he/she will probably have the couple to start charting her temp every morning before her feet hits the floor. They will try that for 6 wks and then go in for a preg test. If it comes out negative thats when her Dr will refer her.
    MrsJ05

Answer by MrsJ05 at 9:44 AM on Jul. 19, 2008