To have an epidural or not?

Ok so with my first I was induced had an epidural etc, was naive and didnt think there were any risks etc. Luckily nothing happened, but I would like to a do a little more research this time. If all goes normally and I have a normal vaginal birth, I am debating whether or not to get an epidural this time! So I would like FACTS about the risks, pros and cons of getting an epidural! I really dont want this to turn into some kind of debate I just want some information so I can make a more informed decision than I did last time!

SweetPea05

Asked by SweetPea05 at 11:17 PM on Dec. 26, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Epidurals like everything has risks, but it is crucial to have it at the right time in labor. Too erly and it wears off, too late and the baby is groggy. I had mine too late and my son was totally fine, but that risk is there. I will have nother with this baby, here is why-the stress on the mother(from pain) can stall labor which can cause trauma to baby. Also mom's heartrate is higher in pain so it effects babys heartrate as well-too much stress. U can google the topic for lots of info. Don't let anti-epi people scare u hon-get the facts for yourself. good luck mama!
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:20 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Bearsjen- So then about when is a good time to get an epidural?
    SweetPea05

Answer by SweetPea05 at 11:21 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Well, they told me most of everything that could happen to me, instead of the baby. Like the spinal headache, and all that. But my cousin had her epidural too early, and it wore off before she had the baby. so make sure you get it at the right time, they asked me when I was ready, and mine lasted the whole time. GL.
    Jessica1991

Answer by Jessica1991 at 11:25 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Mm. We'll see if this stays on facts. Con against epidurals is they can slow your labor, increased c-section rate with Moms that use epidurals, possible nerve damage for Mom is rare but has happened. Pros for epidurals pain relief, help mom relax and let the contractions come, doesn't knock you out or baby out like other narcotics would.

Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 11:26 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Okay, I am anti epidural but I just wanted to say that epis CANNOT wear out. They are a cathader and the needle stays in there and they can just give you more. I asked an OB when I went to my cousins apt.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 11:31 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Read, read and read some more.   I had two epidurals.. I was one of the unlucky people that it doesn't work well heh.  I was 9.5 dilated with my first before it finally took (doh), and my daughter it took partially but not entirely.  If you have any questions on my opinion or experience would be glad to share!  But ultimately you just need to decide what works for you.  :)  Good luck Momma!

http://pregnancy.about.com/od/epidurals/p/epidural.htm

http://pregnancy.about.com/cs/painmedsinlabor/a/epiduralfacts.htm

Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 11:31 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• get it when you feel like you need it... I had my baby in July and i was in labor for 16 hours... i got the epi after 6 hours b/c the contractions stopped... and to help me relax. MY epi was great in that i was able to move my feet the whole time.. and it didn't make me sleepy or groggy, just very comfortable. ( besides the fact that it only took the my left side :))
    .don't' worry too much,if your epi wears off, you can get another injection of the medication into the epidural by the anesthesiologist. ( not a whole other epi, just more medication through the tube)

have fun... enjoy the labor and deliver and try to remember every moment! it's so precious!
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 11:33 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• and yes epi's can stop working... been there done that..
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 11:34 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• That is another thing I have to consider, with my first my epidural wore off on half of my body... it was sooo weird!
    SweetPea05

Answer by SweetPea05 at 11:37 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Epidurals tend to stall your labor. In my opinion, letting gravity work is crucial to labor. This means the ability to get up and move around makes labor progress steadily and you can find ways to move and ease your pains.
    Here are some websites I found:
    http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/injections/potential-risks-epidural-steroid-injection
    http://www.childbirth.org/articles/sideeppi.html
    http://www.painfreebirthing.com/english/complications.htm

And a final note: the more invention you add to your labor, the more risks you add. Natural birthing is possible and achievable. Research different ways to find one that works for you. :) I can also share my personal experience with you if you like.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 11:37 PM on Dec. 26, 2008