Do you ever feel like the neighbors can hear you yelling at the kids?

I try not to yell but they give me no choice, I talk and I talk and I talk but when I yell they know I mean business, I get so upset with myself for being this way. I take a deep breath and ask God to give me strength and go on. That helps alot. :)

Sometimes I give them a good spanking I used to use my hand but I kept hurting myself now I use a small paddle on their butts of course I don't beat them with it just one little sting will do it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:23 PM on Dec. 26, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I do, and so when it's warm out, I open the windows. It helps me to stay calm and keep my "cool" because I don't want the whole neighborhood to think I'm a bad mom.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:41 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• I think that all of the time especially considering that we live in a side by side.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 12:05 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• No the neighbors don't hear me yell -- but only because we are surrounded by lots of bare land!

I think we are all guilty of yelling, at times. I've been doing better as the kids are getting older (now 6 and 9) and not quite as frustrating as they used to be. One trick I've learned is to warn them when I'm getting ready to yell. I will tell them that they are at my breaking point, that I really don't want to lose my cool, but I am sooo close to screaming that I'm not sure I can hold it back. Usually it works, the kids shape up or go hide in their rooms, and it doesn't escalate. But I don't do it often, only when I am really am close to losing it -- it might lose it's magic if I did it frequently.

Cam
    cam.i.am

Answer by cam.i.am at 1:27 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• If you're hitting them hard enough you're hurting your hand, STOP HITTING THEM!!!
    You realize by using an object instead, you're probably hitting them HARDER now?

I think the neighbors hearing you yell is the LEAST of your concerns at the moment.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 1:43 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• *shaking my head* Your poor babies...
    Hitting a child WITH an object by law is not punishment, its abuse. FYI. Spankings are legal, with a hand... but NOT with a BELT or a Paddle or anything else for that matter... as a PP said you are probably hitting them harder now.
    wendy46121

Answer by wendy46121 at 2:11 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• If you have something to be ashamed of... maybe you should stop. That's horrible. I hope you get called in for abuse.
    sapient

Answer by sapient at 2:28 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• You'll change your behavior out of shame that your neighbors will judge you or because you're hurting yourself, but not because you're hurting your children physically and emotionally? You need to rethink your priorities then pray for forgiveness and compassion, not strength.
    bltcahill

Answer by bltcahill at 2:42 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Wow. Glad you're not my mom.
    Gaia_Rain

Answer by Gaia_Rain at 3:09 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• If you are hurting your adult hand, what the hell do you think you're doing to your kids?! If it hurts you so bad you have to hit them with an object, maybe you should stop.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 3:14 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Your poor, poor children. I have spanked my son once, immediately regretted it, and will never do it again. How can you possibly think that spanking them will make them behave better? It will only make them fear you, when they shouldn't... they should respect you.

My father spanked me all the time growing up. I have the deepest hatred for him now, and try my absolute hardest to not be that kind of parent.

Also, were you aware that most states have laws against punishing your child with anything more than your hand? That means it's illegal and CPS can easily take your child(ren).
    MelanieLouise

Answer by MelanieLouise at 3:21 PM on Dec. 27, 2008