Is this being over protective?

A good friend of our family was taking his daughter to the local Renaissance festival for her birthday and wanted my daughter to come along too. I wasn't sure if I was going to make it because my younger daughter wasn't feeling well so I told maybe. When I brought it up to my husband he said "why don't you just let them take lily (our older daughter) and stay home with the baby?" I told him that was out of my comfort zone. The festival is an hour away and while our friend knows our kids and even babysits them from time to time, I just don't think she would be comfortable going to a place like that without me or my husband. My husband respected that I wasn't comfortable letting her go but he couldn't understand why I was suddenly being over protective. I don't think I was being over protective, she is only 4. What do you think?  Just to add I never brought it up to my daughter so it wasn't like she was going to be upset if she didn't get to go. 

Asked by lilysmom2607 at 4:32 PM on Aug. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• I'm with you on this one but I know many families who wouldnt mind allowing their 4yo to go an hour away with close friends to an event. I dont think your being over protective on this one & its good you didnt bring it up to your daughter bc now she dosent even know. Its fine.

Answer by Mel30248 at 4:34 PM on Aug. 20, 2011

• I agree with you; I would not be comfortable. In addition, I went last year to one for the first time. I'm glad I left my 4 year old with my is not the type of place young kiddos should be, imo. The drinking, half naked women, etc is not my idea of appropriate for litttle ones.

Answer by texasgurl33 at 4:37 PM on Aug. 20, 2011

• I don't think I would have been comfortable letting her go either without me either. Those things are huge and a tiny 4-yr old could get lost in the blink of an eye. I think you made the right decision.

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 4:40 PM on Aug. 20, 2011

• 4 is too young, if shes 14 thsts a different story.

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 4:46 PM on Aug. 20, 2011

• i dont know, i think she would have a lot of fun, i know i do, but at the same time she is kind of young. does she have a habbit of flipping out with your friend, or is it like she is at her second home? depending on that answer is most likely how she would be in that situation

Answer by flowersmama at 4:50 PM on Aug. 20, 2011

• No you are not being over protective ,she is 4

Answer by tigger3itch at 4:56 PM on Aug. 20, 2011

• I don't think you are being over protective. My son is 4 and while I have allowed him to go 2 hrs away, it was with family and going to another family's home, not a public place with lots of activity and potential for accidents and such.

Answer by tntmom1027 at 5:02 PM on Aug. 20, 2011

• well if you are comfortable with the family then you should have let her go.

Answer by surfgrl60 at 5:06 PM on Aug. 20, 2011

• well if you are comfortable with the family then you should have let her go. [surfgrl60]

Obviously she is comfortable with the family but she didn't feel comfortable about letting her go somewhere that would be crowded and a small child could be easily lost or worse, taken. Yes, it could happen even if the mother went, but it's more likely when the child is with someone who is not their parent, no matter how watchful they are b/c their focus will be more on their own child. Before someone says it, I'm not saying the friend would not watch the child. I'm saying you are just naturally more focused on your own child.  

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 5:14 PM on Aug. 20, 2011

• I would do the same thing as you.

Answer by BOOGIETHEBOOG at 7:43 PM on Aug. 20, 2011