How can i stop temper tantrums?

My daughter is 22 months and EXTREMELY advanced for her age she was born early and barely weighed 4 pounds at birth. She is now WAY ahead like i said before and i'm proud of her except shes constantly throwing fits, when she doesnt get what she wants, when she doesnt want to get dressed or get in the car seat, when i wont turn her favorite song on. I mean just all the time throwins fits its SO frustrating. How can i make it stop. I know shes just trying to communicate sometimes and i know its about time for the terrible 2s but this seriously cant get much worse and i cant take it much longer. What do i do?

mommy_ashley07

Asked by mommy_ashley07 at 11:51 PM on Dec. 26, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• ignore it...she will stop when she see's it isn't working for her..
    Good luck
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 11:57 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• this is what I would do. I would try to work with her to increase her vocabulary (you can try sign language and read a lot of books), when she throws a fit just let it happen andf when she calms down (she will eventually) bend down to her level and look her in the eyes and explain that she needs to get in the car to go wherever you arte going, or she can listen to her song later, but right now you need to do his or that, kwim? Also take time out of your day to spend some good quality time can cut back on tantrums too. also makins sure she gets enough sleep and healthy things to eat. If a child is tired or hungry its hard for them to behave.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 12:00 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Yep...ignore it. I put my kids in time out until they calm down. When they stopped the fit, and were ready to do what they were told then they could get out. If they still refused to do as they were told (getting dressed, putting toys away, behave correctly in general) then right back into time out until they are ready.

It only took twice for my 2 year old to get it.....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:29 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Ignoring tantrums definitely works.

To avoid a tantrum when getting her dressed: give her a choice of two outfits: giving her some "power' "control" in the situation can help avoid a battle

For the car: if you can, try to limit the number of times she's in and out of the carseat in a day and if at all possible, do errands in the morning when toddlers are at their best. And hey, you can always use playing her favorite song in the car as incentive (just make sure to put it on a cd, tape, or mp3player before hand so you can make good on your promise). If the trip is unavoidable (such as dropping her at daycare in the morning) you just have to be all business and do it. Don't pay attention to the tantrums.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:25 PM on Dec. 27, 2008