Do you allow your children to watch scary movies?

My cousin lets her 5 year old watch Saw!!! She says he thinks it's funny! And my SD's mother used to let her watch It when she was like 2-3. These movies scare the crap out of me! I don't even let my 6YO watch the newer Hulk and Spiderman movies because I think he would have nightmares. What are your thoughts on this?

TanyaR1024

Asked by TanyaR1024 at 11:59 PM on Dec. 26, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think when you let kids watch things like that, which are beyond their maturity level, you are stealing some of their innocence. I've known children who are allowed to watch things like that and they seem "hardened." I definitely think it is a bad thing to do, and usually a selfish one! It's usually that the adults want to watch it and they are too self centered to wait until the impressionable children are asleep to do it!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I've allowed my son to watch scary movies but never anything like Saw. That is too real. I will let him watch only the movies that are clearly fiction. I will not let him watch any horrors that are based on a true story or have regular killers.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 12:04 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• i don't blame you but you can not protect your child for ever your child will have friends soon and what if they are watching these kinds of movies then he will not know how to act. I wouldn't want him to get teased. If you are scared don't show him that side of you or he will be like that.
    I tell my kids to make sure they understand it is a movie and yes if they wake up in the middle of the night (just remind them remember it is just a movie you must have went to sleep thinking of this movie) And just stay with them until they fall back to sleep. It works for me. My kids want to watch stuff like this (within limits of course).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• i let my kids watch scarey movies my sons fav it pumpkin head lol
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 12:10 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Not horror films. My SS (5) has seen Jurassic Park and the POTC movies. He is big on dinosaurs and pirates right now and I didn't think he should watch them but Daddy said it was okay...so so be it. (He sat in my lap during the scary dinosaur parts.)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I don't believe in over sheltering, I let them watch Superhero shows and the likes, mostly cartoon form though. I would no more let my kids watch horror films than porn, I personally see no difference, it's unedifying and far above their maturity level, not to mention, introduces them to things that no child should even be able to conceive . . . in my humble opinion.
    Panditacjp

Answer by Panditacjp at 9:41 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Both of my sons have seen horror movies, the oldest is 15 and they dont bother him at all. My youngest has seen the Halloween movies and the Friday the 13th movies. He is 7 and he knows that they are just that, movies, they aren't real. He has never been made to watch any of them and if I was watching them and he got scared, I just turned the tv., no problem. He has seen the Hulk, Spiderman and all the X-men movies. I think it is just based on each child and each parent as individuals as to what is right for the child to see and not to see.
    firefly2008

Answer by firefly2008 at 10:28 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Not Saw. I won't even watch those...to gross and creepy. But my kids watch other stuff. They've seen I Am Legend about a dozen times and a couple other ones. I don't allow slasher films (who needs all that gratuitous violence anyway). They've never had nightmares...except my son. When he was 6 he watched Goosebumps at Halloween (a kid's movie) and couldn't sleep for several days yet he can sit through a vampire movie or a zombie movie and never flinch.
    It cracks us up...it's the kids scary movie that scares him.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:32 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I wouldn't let them watch Saw, no. But, Hulk and Spiderman, yes. In fact, they own one of the Spiderman movies. I let them watch some scary movies, depending on what it is. I also will sometimes preview them and watch them alone to decide if the kids can watch them. But, I'm also fortunate that most of the movies we watch are on loan from my parents, who've already watched them and my mother will tell me when she gives it to me if she thinks it wouldn't be good for the kids. And I just remind them that it's all make-believe and wouldn't really happen. I don't let them watch movies that *could* happen, like Vacancy (the motel flick) or something with a real killer instead of a monster or zombie, b/c those are ones that even though it's not likely, it could happen, they could hear about it on the news and I wouldn't want them scared by that. But they know zombies and vampires aren't real, so they're cool.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:30 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I do let my 10 yr old watch SOME scary movies... but Saw (the entire series) is one of the ones I forbid.
    Its all about how realistic they are. She LOVES the Ring.. she also knows it will NEVER happen in real life. Saw is too gory and really beyond her level.
    wendy46121

Answer by wendy46121 at 1:39 PM on Dec. 27, 2008