Procardia / Nifedipine used for preterm labor...

Anyone have or know of any experiences with this mediation in the use of stopping preterm labor? How long was it taken? What are or were side effects? How long did labor take once the meds were discontinued? Thanks in advance!

JustMeTiff

Asked by JustMeTiff at 7:20 PM on Jul. 14, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I was on Nifedipine for several weeks to stop pre-term labor. It never completely stopped my contractions, but it did slow them up considerably. I experienced no side-effects with the Nifedipine. I don't know if labor would have come on had I stopped the meds, b/c I had a placental abruption and had to have an emergency c-section. HOWEVER, after the babies were delivered, my uterus would not contract and the bleeding would not stop. I believe this was due to the meds.
    patsfan013

Answer by patsfan013 at 8:53 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I took it. Took about 5 days for it to really kick in, at that point I was released from the hospital on bed rest. Side effects were basically being really hot all the time. Good luck
    betsystipo

Answer by betsystipo at 7:27 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I took something simular..I know it had ephrine at the end of it. It made my heart race. I felt like I was on speed and that my heart was going to jump out or that I would have a heart attack. I took it for 1 month and stoppe taking it. In that time I couldn't sleep and lost weight. As well as got high blood pressure.
    mommakline

Answer by mommakline at 11:49 PM on Jul. 14, 2008