Any ideas on food for child with peanut allergy?

My daughter is 2yrs old...she's had a peanut allergy since she was 1yr. old. She seems to be fine when she eats walnuts, pecans, or any other type nut. It is SO hard to find foods that don't contain even a trace of peanut or peanut oil in them. Anyone have a child with peanut allergy that has found good foods without all the peanut warnings? We do use the sunflower butter (the replacement for peanut butter) and she loves that!

LizClara

Asked by LizClara at 12:51 AM on Dec. 27, 2008 in General Parenting

• I would google for a list of peanut free foods, or somethinglike that. i would be afraid to suggest anything becauseit is impossible to tell if something is processed in a place where they also process nuts. Some places don't list that on their packages. Good luck.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:04 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I am actually allergic to peanuts and I have become an expert at speed reading through ingredients, dont just trust the bold print at the end that say "contains..." read through it yourself. the only granola bars that I have found that doesnt have any peanut stuff in it is Kashi, and even with that some varities they have do have peanut stuff in the bar so really it is just about beng vigilant about reading labels and not taking chances
    ReneeLRS

Answer by ReneeLRS at 1:09 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Experiment with making your own humus---or find a flavor/brand that you both like:-)
    Ronnie80

Answer by Ronnie80 at 2:32 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• We have a problem with citrus here...it's tough sometimes. I have discovered that even if something isn't citrus flavored, it will affect my son if it's processed in the same plant as citrus flavored things. (talking mostly about fruit snacks)

So it's not just avoiding peanuts, but avoiding anything manufactured in a plant that handled peanuts. Some restaurants cook with peanuts and peanut oil, too.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:45 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• The above poster is right. It depends how allergic your child is... I had a friend so allergic to peanuts that even breathing in around them could make him have a reaction. He use to get so mad at me when I ate peanut M&Ms.
    dtetz

Answer by dtetz at 9:24 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Check out food and allergy network to get all kinds of information regarding peanut allergies. It is an invaluable resource, expecially as your child becomes school aged or is in day care. Peanut allergy is more common than ever and products are being sold in mainstream grocery stores that contain none of the most common allergens (peanuts, nuts, soy, eggs, milk) Ask your grocer.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 9:53 AM on Dec. 27, 2008