What's so wrong about getting an epidural?

I hear many negative things about epidurals, but what is so wrong with them? Do they hurt your baby or something? Why would it be bad to get one?

I'm having a baby soon, and want to know why people are anti epidural!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:23 AM on Dec. 27, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They can cause permanent & significant nerve damage and they don't always work well. I have read countless articles/posts, seen people on TV, and know several people personally who have had negative experiences & lasting effects from them.

I flat-out refused them even with my Csections. Opted to go under general anesthesia instead with all 3.

To each his own... and some people absolutely LOVE them, but they're definitely not on my list of "things I want to try".
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:29 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I'm not anti anything. i've done it both ways. babies came out fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• i went all natural.. it went well.. all you really need is someone there to massage your back.. lol... cause i heard alot of ppl say that the drug pretty much wears off by the time your really giving birth... you'll get through it!
    maxi169

Answer by maxi169 at 1:44 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• It's best to talk to your OB about this. I have had three children and epidurals with everyone and no problems. No regrets and I'm glad I did and to each their own. Good luck in whatever you decide!

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/labornbirth/epidural.html

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 1:57 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• all i know is that my mom wasnt "allowed" to have one b/c it was the taboo of her time (like formula feeding is now). she was there for my DDs birth & i had an epi. she said if she knew epis could do what they did for me she woulda told the Drs to go to hell & woulda got one.

ive heard very few first hand horror stories & know that my baby turned out very alert & is the happiest baby i have ever seen.

i would just wait till the contractions really kick in to get it, that way you know what you are missing by getting the epi. it makes the epi all the more amazing haha
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:10 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Read this article www.sarahjbuckley.com/articles/ecstatic-birth.htm , entitled Ecstatic Birth: Nature's Hormonal Blueprint. It has a really detailed explanation of what's going on so you can make your preparations and make best decisions for labor.

In this article you'll see how an epidural would play into the progress of labor with the flow of beneficial hormones and the kinds of things that short-circuit them ... Best Wishes !!
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 5:23 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Definitely discuss it with your OB. Like any medical procedure there are risks associated with the epidural. Epidurals are used for all kinds of things thought, not just chid birth. If they do it right and your labor isn't super long the epi shouldn't wear out when you deliver. I have had a couple friends say it wore off on them by the time the baby came out, but they were in labor for over 20 hours. And, even though they didn't have any relief when the baby came out, they were thankful for the help they had when they had it.

Personally, I had one with my son and I didn't have time for one with my daughter. Hopefully, there will be time for one with my third because I have no desire to do it drug free again. My son was happy, healthy and alert. The epidural site was tender for several months after, but I didn't even notice unless I bumped it.

JMmama

Answer by JMmama at 5:27 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• cont from above...

At any rate, looking for info on CM about epidurals is not going to be productive for you. For some reason, women get really emotional and beligerant about having or not having an epidural. Spend some time on google to see what you can find and then talk to your OB.
    JMmama

Answer by JMmama at 5:28 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I agree with JMmama...looking here isn't going to be productive. Look to your OB or other doctors. Speak to an anesthesiologist if you can (they put it in, after all)

I had three epidurals. I only had trouble with one...the last. My blood pressure dropped too low. I had no trouble with recovery...and my babies were born after 7 hours labor, 2 1/2 hours labor and my last was officially 15 hours, but part of that was at home. He was born 26 minutes after my water broke though. And the drug did not wear off as I gave birth.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:22 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• An epidural can make things smoother for you-esp. if you are having a long labor. If you are making fast progress and don't want one-that's fine,it's optional! But talk to your dr about it and keep your options open...the other option is IV pain meds. You need to be aware that if you are close to delivery you won't be getting any more IV meds and it makes you drowsy and relaxed-some women don't like that feeling. Do what is right for you and congratulations!
    BonJovilover

Answer by BonJovilover at 6:39 AM on Dec. 27, 2008