sleepin in the crib..

So my daughter's 1 month old now and we're still putting her in her cradle.. how long do you usually keep the baby next to you..in the bassinet/cradle? i tried putting her in her crib one night with the baby monitors and i felt empty, like i was missing something. I'm just wondering how old they usually are when u switch them.

nikkilee0812

Asked by nikkilee0812 at 1:51 AM on Dec. 27, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i dont think there is a set time, i guess when You're ready..i always waited till mine were like 6 months and had them on a sleeping schedule. w my 2nd, every time id move, she'd wake up even though she was sleepin in her porta crib right next to my bed..i decided one day to just try putting her in her own crib and she slept through the night ever since. i also waited so long becuase it was just easier to have everything right there when she woke up and didnt have to walk half assleep down the hall to the other room.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 2:48 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• i have my crib in our room,but she still sleeps with me,shes almost 7months,lol
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 3:40 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Mine went in their cribs almost from day one.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:16 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Follow your heart, I waited until my son didn't fit in his bassinett anymore. It felt strange for me too, my bedroom felt empty even though he's right next door. I heard horror stories from friends who still sleep with their 5 yr old, and people who are trying to get their toddlers in to their own rooms. For me it was worth it, I can hear his little sighs and murmmers throught the monitor, and he usually only wakes once for a feeding early in the morning. If you felt empty without your little one next to you you're just not ready yet, the right age to move him is when you feel comfortable.
    wadesmum

Answer by wadesmum at 6:46 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• My son is five months and is still sleeping in my room. I used to let him sleep in bed with me but I stopped because I am worried about making the move. I am gradually trying to get him used to sleeping on his own. I don't hold him to put him to sleep at night (but I do at nap time still!). I know exactly what you mean about the empty feeling. I think that you have to be emotionally ready to move him into his own room before you try because you have to commit to it. There is no set date or method to moving your baby, but you have to commit to it when you do or he'll get mixed messages about what you want from him. So that's my big advice. Don't do it until you mean it.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:15 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• SORRY!!! I kept saying "him" and then I looked back after I hit the answer button and saw that you have a daughter! I guess I was relating a little too much! LOL!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:16 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I've read that baby shouldn't sleep in his/ her own room until after 1 year old when the risk of SIDS is almost gone. You should be able to check on your baby regularly and hear changes in breathing that can't really be heard or easily checked using a monitor. I think baby needs to be close to mommy in the first year at least. Maybe you can put the crib in your room. It may not be ideal to your decor, but it won't be forever; they aren't babies but for a year!!
    Senae

Answer by Senae at 12:00 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Baby should sleep in the same room with, and close by mom until at least 6 months old. The decreases the risk of SIDS. According to UNICEF "It is recommended that your baby shares a room with you for at least the first 6 months, as this helps with breastfeeding and protects babies
    against SIDS." That "empty" feeling is your mothering instinct, listen to it!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:23 PM on Dec. 27, 2008