will the hospital not let you take your baby home if you do not have a pediatrician?

????
ill of course have one, im just wondering if this is all true?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:07 AM on Dec. 27, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Um NO. They can't keep your little one if you don't have a pedi. They may go ahead and assign you one or give you a book with all of them in your area but it's not legal for them to keep your bundle just because of that.
    In fact other than health problems the only reason I've heard where they can keep your baby is if they believe neglect has occurred. An example is if you were to use drugs and they were to find those in your little ones blood.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 2:10 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• They told me that I couldn't leave the hospital without a pediatrician.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:17 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I don't know about pediatricians, but I've heard about them not being released if the parents did not have a car seat.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 2:29 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• i know that about the carseat. of course. im wondering about a pedi.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:36 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• you know..i read this question and laughed my ass off untill i saw the answer where they said they wouldnt let her go home wout a pedi..ive NEVER heard of this before..what about the families that have no insurance? it takes a good month to get on county insurance, and they wont assign a pedi to the unborn. you'd have to wait until after the baby's born to get insurance..that's of course for the poor ppl..i dont know what situation youre in.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 2:39 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• The hospital always has a pedi on call to check baby before discharge. After discharge you may go where you like but it's really best to already have one chosen. Any tests that are done on your baby-esp. the PKU test-it is required-the results will be sent to your pediatricians office.
    BonJovilover

Answer by BonJovilover at 2:42 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I cannot imagine them not letting you leave without a pediatrician. I've known of moms who hadn't really decided at the time their baby was born, but the baby was released with the moms. My brother's gf has 2 children who were born in a hospital that doesn't even have a nursery and peds don't see the baby until they go home, so I know they leave without seeing their "own" ped. There is just a staff ped who comes through to see them and sign them out. I know she had not already chosen drs when hers were born.
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 2:44 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• i thought it was stupid too. my dr told me this and yes i will have one. im just wondering if its true or if its another way of making money by making you THINK you have to have one.

ive NEVER heard of this either.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:47 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I've had 6 babies & never had a problem. With my first 3 I didnt have dr. at all, just took them to the health dept. for shots.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:54 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• i didnt have a pedi when my DD was born so the on call pedi checked her out. lucky for us he is the BEST dr ive ever seen!!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:26 AM on Dec. 27, 2008