What do you look for?

When selecting a pediatrician for your baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:16 AM on Dec. 27, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I had great luck with asking friends and family who they go to. My dh's cousin referred us to a wonderful pediatrician. She is a mother of 2 and she always listens to our concerns. It's important to me to have the following: 1. An after hours number to call in case of emergency 2. Same day appointments.
    I once took my daughter to a doctor (not my pediatrician) and I asked him if my daughters ears were clogged with wax (her ears do this often). He said "No they look great." Not 2 days later, we were back in the Dr.'s office for another reason, and her regular doctor looked in her ears and said...."WHOA there is a lot of wax in there!" GRRRR I was so mad. SO, be sure that you interview the doctor and make sure that they listen to you and not blow you off.
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 2:28 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I look for someone who obviouly loves kids-there are those out there that are tired and crabby and I leave the office lol. I look for someone who has similar parenting views to mine, and someone my child "bonds" well with.Conviienient hours-like evenings are a plus. Someone who will always answer when on call, insted of making you wait or passing me off to a partner who has never met my child. Someone with flexible pmts is awesome too.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 2:30 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I like them to be respectful of my choices as a mother because we don't always adhere to the whole vax schedule, and we use herbal meds in our home. I don't argue with them, but I don't want them arguing with me either. I like them to talk TO my children as well as to me, not around the children and always directing things to me. Obviously as babies that isn't the same, but as they get older they know if they are being overlooked or addressed. Having a great answering svc when they aren't there is good. Not over-prescribing antibiotics is good, even though some will just give in to get parents off their backs. A separate area for well babies and sick children is a MUST. Until age 5 ours see the Dr for well checks in a completely different part of the bldg from the sick patients. I really have appreciated that.
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 2:49 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Someone who actually seem to care. I can't stand the hard --- ones that just seem grumpy. So a mile always helps... and someone I've heard good things about from other moms. I asked all the new parents I knew who they had and if they liked them!
    dtetz

Answer by dtetz at 10:02 AM on Dec. 27, 2008