Am I overreacting?

My boyfriend and I have a 22 day old son. Currently we are moving out of state so he was gone a week then back for xmas, then will be leaving on the 2nd which i then will go out later in jan (waiting for his first set of shots) Anyways, his family has been fussy over the fact that he NEEDS to spend every day at their house and last night his sister 'kidnapped' him to some bars when i was under the impression he would be home by midnight - as the clock rolled around to 2:30, his explanation was that he won't get to see his sister for 2 months and his cousin for awhile.....now I'm not trying to prevent him from hanging out with his fam, but i am very upset for the fact he was more concerned with going out - especially late - his sister knowingly keeping him, and that he was not here with me and our son (also that we are staying at my parents house until we leave) i thought it was very rude. Any comments are welcomed

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:23 AM on Dec. 27, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My hubby did this right after ds, he kinda had an emotional overload and needed a break.......I set him down explained everything that i was feeling and told him he needed to get his shit together because i wasnt raising our son alone..........he needed to help.........
    Just tell him how you feel, He needs to put you and ds first......
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:44 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• i agree with the previouse post, sit him down and talk to him, his wife and son come first.
    Thalie

Answer by Thalie at 8:55 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I agree he should put you and your son first. But, let me ask you: Is this the way he usually is, or is this new behavior for him? If this is the way he usually is, then definitely sit him down and talk to him. If this is new behavior, I would still say something, but keep it kind of light, something like "Is it my turn to lose my wristwatch tonight?" or something. The reason I say keep it light is b/c if he's never done this before, then it sounds like he is just wanting to hang with his family b/c you're moving, and since you're moving it *should* stop once you do. If it doesn't, then you can address it more seriously.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:22 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• You and your child should come first and it is a shame that his family is not more supportive of that. One would think that they would want him to he a good father. You are right, but just be glad that you guys are moving away from that kind of influence. Make sure he knows that you need him to have his priorities straight.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:35 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• You're all living with your parents...he should have been in earlier out of respect for them...yes.

However...he is leaving out of state away from his family. It's not going to hurt anyone if he spends some time with his family before he leaves! How often are you guys going to be back so he can visit with his family? They are his family, and always will be...in addition to your son. Yes he is your boyfriend...but he is also their son and brother. How would you feel if you wanted to spend some time with your family and he got upset about it and didn't want you to do it?

If this is usual behavior for him to be out at night, you might want to reconsider staying with him.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:01 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• i wouldnt get mad unless he does this all the time,if its been a very long time i wouldnt worry,just keep in mind when u want to go out u can.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 11:37 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I agree. I just wish my daughter's dad cared about me & our daughter now as much as he had bfor she was born..Her dad was flake whn he I told him I was pregnant....I only wish i could tell him how it hurt me that when were alone he was romantic,respectful of me...But when his friends wer around he'd act like h didn't even know who i was....no wer'e not teens...I'm in my late 20's and h's in his early 30's! It turns out he was married and already had kids when h went out with me..I only found this out because his friends found out about m and told m after he left! Som idiot I was to fall for him...But oh well his loss...nxt time I see him.He'll only wish he had stad with me!
    babylover08417

Answer by babylover08417 at 8:05 AM on Dec. 28, 2008