2 Questions

I'm sure I'm just being a worried first-time mom but I have two questions. I have noticed that I can see my 4-month-old son's spine coming out of his back. I'm thinking it's just because he doesn't have much fat there yet, but is that normal? Secondly, I have tried putting him in his bumbo seat, but his head just falls forward, which I'm sure is because his head is so heavy, but I thought they should be able to sit in a bumbo at 3 months? It's just a little scary I guess. He was also three weeks early so that may be why, but he seems to have great head control besides being in the bumbo. He has a doctor's appointment next week, but I just wanted to see if these were normal and if I'm just worrying a bit too much.

Thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:25 AM on Dec. 27, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The spine I would ask your doc.....but the bumboo um my son is 6 months and can just barely sit in it correctly he likes to lean over and chew on the sides of it.........I would wait until he can sit in the floor and can be semi suppoted and can hold his head up all on his own almost all day..
    The bumboo thing has a round seat for his little bum, this will in no way help for him to learn to sit unsupported on the floor, just make sure he is getting plenty of tummy time and he should be fine......and with him being early he is three weeks behind in EVERYTHING my son was born a month early and his just hitting his 5 month milestones and he is 6 months......so hang in there mama enjoy the time now because soon he will be into everything below your waist line............instead of the bumboo I would try a jumperoo,
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I agree about the spine problem...ask his doctor at his next appointment...When my Daughter was only 1 month old i saw a cavity in her chest on the outside. he said it would go away.. And it did. So go check when you can...And to your second question..I too bought a bumbo seat for my daughter...and she holds her head up alone just fine...I am just using it to help her hold herself up in sitting position....I got it fo her for Christmas..I know babies don't really care about gifts much at this stage...But it helps my baby a little bit.....So yeah wait another month or two on the bumbo...then bing it back out and try again.
    babylover08417

Answer by babylover08417 at 7:19 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I bought the bumbo seat for my daughter when she was 6 months. She is head heavy too and had a hard time sitting in the seat at first. I just gave it a couple weeks and then put her back in it and she sat in it better. But if she was teething she would just bend over and chew on it. Just give it time.
    kmstanfo

Answer by kmstanfo at 8:36 PM on Dec. 28, 2008