How much sleep is the right amount of sleep?

first of all he is six months and just started to sleep better after teething.......he sleeps from 8pm to 6:30am plays for about 2 hours naps for about half an hour then right bfore lunch he naps for a good hour maybe less then after lunch he plays then nap again stays awake until bedtime.........
I have been told he doesnt get ENOUGH sleep....I think he does....8and a half hours he is happy all day.........
how much sleep is the right amount?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on Dec. 27, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Thats a good amount of sleep for the evening hours. Naptimes though are usually longer. Mine usually slept 8-9 hours at night, then had about 3-4 hours of naps in the daytime.

Answer by gemgem at 8:34 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• the people are saying he doesnt get enough sleep during the day. I wish mine would take a 2nd nap but he only takes a first nap for 2 hours and then he is up 12-7. a very tired baby but I do the same routine as the first nap & he fights me.
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 9:49 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• If he's happy and healthy...he's getting enough sleep.

Different people (kids) need different amounts of sleep. As long as you're letting him sleep when he wants/needs he's fine.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:55 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Babies this age need 13 to 15 hours a day total. So add up all his naps and nighttime sleep. Is it enough?
    Another good way to tell, does he have dark circles under his eyes? Are his lower lids baggy and doubled looking? Does he get really cranky in the late afternoons? This last one is a good indicator as he enters the toddler years. Most people think that a young child is supposed to act horrible in the evening. Wrong. Well rested children don't. Only overtired, over-stimulated children act like little monsters.
    Even more importantly, growth hormones are released during sleep - kids who never get enough sleep don't grow as well. Memories are processed at night too - kids who don't get enough sleep don't learn as easily as well rested kids. This last one will be critical in the school years. A "stay-up-late" treat once in a while is fine but a steady diet of it is harmful.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:04 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• My baby sleeps 12 - 13 hours at night and about 2 -3 hours during the day. He takes a very short nap in the morn/ about 30 min and then naps about 2 hours or a little more in the afternoon. I think that is normal sleep for a 5 mo. I think this is a q to ask at his next check up. It really doesn't sound like much sleep for a 6 mo.
    Senae

Answer by Senae at 11:52 AM on Dec. 27, 2008