How can you keep a constant good smell in a house with pets?

I keep liter box clean, I wash my dog almost as often as I do myself but still am afraid it smells like animals. I love essential oils but can't leave them burning when I leave, anyone know of some way to keep it fresh and clean smelling? I am constantly spraying air freshners nothing seems to last. I have the time released things but the refills are so expensive!

1countrygal

Asked by 1countrygal at 8:55 AM on Dec. 27, 2008 in Home & Garden

• It helps to brush your animals often and vacuum daily, if you see fur on the furniture vacuum that too. The pet hair itself that comes off the animals can still smell even if it's on the couch or table. You can also use homemade cleaners with the essential oils you love so much in them... Mix equal parts vinegar and water in a spray bottle then add a few drops of essential oil in the mixture. You can clean your counters or floors with it and you will smell the oils for at least a day. Hope this helps.

MNMom247365

Answer by MNMom247365 at 10:16 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Febreeze or Oust sprays help.
    Also, there are containers of odor absorbers that you can place discreetly in a corner of a room that will absorb any odors, but doesn't have an odor of it's own.
    Using candles and normal room sprays only mask the smells.
    Washing and brushing only helps the animal, but does nothing for the home if pet dander and hair are in the carpet and furniture. You will need to vacuum regularly and steam clean your carpets occasionally.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:59 AM on Dec. 29, 2008