How come it is ok

how come a man can age, put on weight, maybe get a little lazy and that is all right. but if a woman puts on weight, isn't as pretty as she was when she was younger, and changes a little bit, then everyone thinks the man should leave her. i read some posts where woman say , well, yeah, i can't blame him leaving you if you let yourself go.Why do woman always have to look good, but the man doesn't?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Dec. 27, 2008 in Relationships

• Because society says so. I don't believe that it's entirely true, though. Many men don't leave if their wife's looks fade. Only the asses who really think they can do better, and they rarely do. They might trade "up" for a thinner, younger woman, but they are usually giving up way more than they bargained for!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 9:26 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• It's just how this world thinks...It's kind of like how my 50 something year old uncle with no teeth and huge beer belly looked at me and said I looked like I had been eating too much only 5 months after having a baby. I'm 155 lbs and I may be heavyish but I don't even have a belly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Everyone's looks fade. Women are just valued for their appearances more. This is one of the myths that feminism has worked so hard to fight and lately it seems like a loosing battle. It is certainly an old and uphill battle that we women have been fighting. One thing is that we allow it. Younger women enjoy stealing older men from their families, attractive women don't care if they are only valued for their beauty. It's up to us to change it, men sure as heck aren't going to!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:31 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Menopause has a lot to do with it, i personally would rather have a man with something to hang onto, instead of boney. But when it comes to women, men dont see it that way, and guess what, neither do women!!! I have a new group that I started on weight loss if anyone wants to join it! Search for new groups, weight loss for the rest of us! I just started it this morning!
    ladykat65

Answer by ladykat65 at 9:52 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• My SO said something to me about how my body changed after a baby or would this time and I said "I would rather pretend I still look like I did at 16". He replied "What makes you think I would want a 16 year old you?" We made a life together and you've given me children..you're so much different than you were back then, but I wouldn't trade it. I think if more men had this mentality instead of worrying only about sexual appeal, we wouldn't feel all that pressure to keep our boobs from sagging or be getting depressed that we cant get rid of the last 5lbs from the baby.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:57 AM on Dec. 27, 2008