Why are they saying time will stand still and they will change seconds? What is that all about?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Dec. 27, 2008 in Just for Fun

• i don't even know what your talking about LOL
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 9:29 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I didn't get that memo! :)
    pinkclover

Answer by pinkclover at 9:36 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• 2009 to Arrive Not a Second Too Soon
    Buzz Up Send
    Email IM Share
    Digg Facebook Newsvine del.icio.us Reddit StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Bookmarks Print Joe Rao
    SPACE.com Skywatching Columnist
    SPACE.com joe Rao
    space.com Skywatching Columnist
    space.com – Fri Dec 26, 11:33 am ETWait a second. The start of next year will be delayed by circumstances beyond everyone's control. Time will stand still for one second on New Year's Eve, as we ring in the New Year on that Wednesday night. As a result, you'll have an extra second to celebrate because a "Leap Second" will be added to 2008 to let a lagging Earth catch up to super-accurate clocks.

By international agreement, the world's timekeepers, in order to keep their official atomic clocks in step with the world's irregular but gradually slowing rotation, have decreed that a Leap Second be inserted between 2008 and 2009.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• The extra second, ordered by the world's nominal timekeeper, the International Earth Rotation and Reference Systems Service, will be marked officially at the stroke of midnight on Wednesday in Greenwich, England, the home of what is popularly known as Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) – Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) to the more technically inclined – the standard time for the planet.

So at precisely 23:59:60 at Greenwich, England, on New Year's Eve, there will be a one-second void before the onset of midnight and the start of the New Year. Wednesday will see the 24th Leap Second that has been needed since the practice was initiated in 1972, and will be the first in three years.

Anonymous

• And to think I wouldn't have known about this all important leap second to keep my clock accurate! lol
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:42 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Oh,that memo......yeah, I got it but it leapt right into the trash! LOL! :)
    pinkclover

Answer by pinkclover at 9:44 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Cool!
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 9:45 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Oh no I don't know how to reset my clock by a second, how will I live.. LOL
    tripletmomtobe

Answer by tripletmomtobe at 9:47 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• that is some pretty cool information. I had no idea. I don't htink I would have noticed, but I never would have really thought about the earth's rotation slowing down or anything. You learn something new everyday. =0)
    beckyschlip

Answer by beckyschlip at 10:26 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Hmmm..... now how am I supposed to reset my clocks by one second? I guess I'll just always be off by a second! Oh, the tragedy! : 0 lol... No, really though--- that's pretty interesting. I've never even heard of such.
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 10:53 AM on Dec. 27, 2008