What does this say about my step-daughter?

My step-daughter would rather stay with us than go to Disney or Universal Studios with her mom. Do you think that she hates it with her mom or am I looking too much into it?

ChefMomOf2

Asked by ChefMomOf2 at 9:49 AM on Dec. 27, 2008 in General Parenting

• How old is she? Does she think Disney/Universal world is too babyish? She may not have the same relationship with her bio-mom as she does with you...maybe she craves the close-knit family atmosphere you provide? Is bio-mom single or married/have a SO? That could explain some of it?!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:57 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• How old is she? Maybe she can answer this question herself. We really can't get to the bottom of what are kids are thinking unless they want to be honest with us AND they even understand their own feelings to share them. Take it for what it is - time with you. Unless you feel there is some abuse going on, just keep an eye on things. It does sound unusual that a kid would pass up Disney.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 10:00 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I stopped wanting to go on trips with my parents when I was early teens because I ended up babysitting my siblings the whole time. It was more of a vacation for me to stay at home.
    Maybe she doesn't know that Disney is fun for all ages. Or she may have gone on other trips and like I found out as a youngster, it isn't worth the hassle.

Answer by Bmat at 10:17 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I have never had any desire to go to Disney or Universal Studios. Never. I still don't and I now have three kids who would probably love it.

Some people just don't like that kind of stuff.

Ask her why she doesn't want to go.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:09 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• She is 6 years old.
    ChefMomOf2

Answer by ChefMomOf2 at 6:18 PM on Dec. 31, 2008