Glass eye or not?

My grandson was in an accident and had his eye put out. He has been thru several surgerys. He is 5 yrs. old. Some Dr. say leave it like it is and some say put in glass eye. He will not let us take his picture. Need some suggestions from someone going thru this.

mamafa

Asked by mamafa at 9:57 AM on Dec. 27, 2008 in About CafeMom

• My brother had an accident when he was 13 (he is now 41). I remember everything like it happened yesterday. He lost his eye. He has a glass eye. You can't tell. Sometimes his natural eye will have the red look in a pic and the other will stay blue. Most ppl that know him don't even know that he has only one eye.
    Dani32

Answer by Dani32 at 10:18 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• If it's bothering him so much that he won't have his picture taken, I think a glass eye might help his self esteem. Why are the doctors advising against it?
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 10:24 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• For his self-esteem, I would get a glass eye. You may have to replace it every couple of years until he's an adult, because he'll be growing though. I know someone who lost an eye once. He had a glass eye, but it aggravated his socket, so he preferred to wear an eye patch when he went in public. Why don't you ask your son what he would like? They make prosthetic eyes so realistic, no one would be able to tell by looking at him.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 12:31 PM on Dec. 27, 2008