How do I keep my 15 month old from climbing on everthing?

I can turn my head for a sec. and he is on top of the coffee table, or climbing out of the crib. I went in to the room to check on him yesterday and he was stuck between the crib and the wall. His chin was on the rail and he was just hanging there. I freaked! is there any safe place I can put him while I get things done around the house? An where is he going to sleep if the crib is not a safe place?

rmconde

Asked by rmconde at 10:22 AM on Dec. 27, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't know how big your son is, but my DD is still fairly petite and loves her johnny jump up. Usually if Im in the house, I make sure she's next to me to keep an eye on her, but when I run outside to smoke a cigarette or have both hands busy cooking dinner, I put her in her jump up and that keeps her entertained.
    Anonymous

• Turn chairs over/on their sides, and move tables and other chairs/sofas away from walls, and install baby gates wherever you want to "contain" your child. Ahhhh, the joys of the toddler years!!! :o)

P.S. I STILL use baby gates on the door to the garage, and home office door. Kept the gate at the top of the stairs till younger son was 3 1/2!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:32 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Oh, and as for the crib...I know that the internet/catalog site One Step Ahead/Leaps and Bounds sells mesh/netting "tents" that install over a crib to keep children from climbing out!  These are on the expensive side, but I'm sure you can locate a less expensive one maybe through Walmart?

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:35 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Why not put him in his room with a few toys and a gate at the door so he can play while you do your chores? That'll allow you to get stuff done and him to play safely. Get some things done and then bring him out to play with you. Try to catch him before he starts to climb and say "no climbing". If you can't catch him, pull him down from where he is and say "no climbing". Consistency is the key to helping him learn the lesson.

I'd also just put the coffee table away for now until he's older.

Finally, if he's climbing out of his crib at nap time or in the morning, try having him sleep with the crib rail down. Just put some cushions on the floor to soften a fall (which will be less distance with the rail down) and put a gate at his door so he can't wander around the house and get hurt.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:14 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• You cant.
    genna71

Answer by genna71 at 7:31 PM on Dec. 27, 2008