breast feeding

i am planning on breastfeeding. its very important to me not only because its good for the baby but also its more traditional where i come from. my mom breastfeeded so did my sister and now im worried because i heard that some nipples are too small to breastfeed. is that true? and if so what can i do? maybe a pump?

glossyblack

Asked by glossyblack at 10:27 AM on Dec. 27, 2008 in Pregnancy

• That is an old wives tale. They used to tell women not to even try breast feeding because their breast were too small or too big. I was told that I would probably have trouble with milk supply because my breast are too big and my ducts could have issues. I didn't have any issues.
    Your breasts were made to feed your baby. :) You will never know if you don't try. And it may be hard at first, but if you really desire to provide the best for your child, then you can fight through pretty much anything.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 11:39 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Most bfing issues can be resolved. Your nipple size should not, however be an issue. If you have inverted nipples (nipples that stick inward instead of outward) there is something called Latch Assist by Lansolin that can help. I suggest you prepare in advance by buying a few good bfing books- I really liked "The womanly art of breast feeding", contact your local hospital and see if they have a bfing support group- you can attend these before baby arrives to get ready for a successful bfing experience. Also look up LLLI (LaLeche Legue International) a breast feeding support group- online and local meetings are available. Good luck : )
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 12:20 PM on Dec. 27, 2008