Is my baby spoiled?

My baby crys and only crys when I'm in veiw... and she only does this with me. My b/f says its because she knows I'll pick her up and that I'm spoiling her. She can be smiling but the mintue she realizes I'm home from work or back in the room she crys till I pick her up. Sometimes I seriously build like a wall by putting a blanket up on the side of her floor mat so I can get stuff done. Shes almost 6months old... is she spoiled?

dtetz

Asked by dtetz at 10:46 AM on Dec. 27, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is she spoiled? Yes and no.
    Most moms will tell you that it is impossible to spoil a baby - which is just silly. A magic "this baby can now become spoiled" switch doesn't get flipped when they turn one. Infants quickly learn what behaviors get them what they want and at some point we have to start teaching them that they don't always get what they want and that some behaviors aren't acceptable.
    Your little one loves you and feels safest in your arms. Try to remember that when she starts screaming.
    To begin changing this behavior, you might try letting her fuss for a few minutes at a time while you talk to her while doing something else.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:55 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• SHe knows you are her mommy, loves you and wants to be loved, cuddled and held by you. Its not ":spoiling". Withholding attention/ love from your child will damage the security they feel with you.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 10:49 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• You can't spoil a baby.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:54 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I agree that it might simply be that she misses you, and being that you work, has "concentrated cuddle time". In that she tries to fit the whole day into a few hours. At six months it's pretty difficult to say a baby is spoilt, as they are pretty much a creature of instinct and just go by what they feel they need. It is of course possible, to get her into a routine of play vs cuddle time so you can get work done. . . I had to do it with mine or I would just spend all day huging and holding.
    Panditacjp

Answer by Panditacjp at 10:54 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Yep.... I've got a spoiled 11 month old that fussing in his walker as I type this. Ya know what, though? I'd have him no other way. Like Kaycee suggested, you should just try to let her fuss for a few minutes before actually picking her up. Maybe sit in the floor with her while folding laundry or bring her into the kitchen while you're doing dishes, but don't actually pick her up right away. My kiddo used to love me to hold him, but now he bucks like a wild horse when I try to hold him if he's wanting down to play! : ( That "hold me, hold me, hold me!" thing will be gone before you know it, so if you want to indulge, do!
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 11:01 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• if you've been away then odds are she is crying because she missed you.
    there's nothing wrong with holding your baby or picking them up when they cry.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 12:21 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Look up object permanence & infants on the internet this should answer your question. When you leave baby thinks you are gone forever. She does not know you are there just behind the wall or in another room. Around 8 months is when they grasp the you are there even if you can not be seen concept (object permanence).  It has absolutely nothing to do with being spoiled, just a phase.

Anonymous

• I read that babies can start to be spoiled by three months old an up. She probably does miss u but u probably should not hold her for a long period of time. Babies learn young. Maybe try playing with her on the floor without picking her up.us Babies who are held alot want to be held all the time, don't ignore her constantly though.
    Anonymous

• I get so frustrated when people think infants are spoiled because they want to be held. Children are spoiled when their value systems are screwed with. Replace physical affection with material goods, that's spoiling, fail to teach them right from wrong, that's spoiling, teach them avarice, hate, mistrust, that's spoiling. What values are screwed up by holding your child? None. What's wrong with holding your child? Nothing. In fact it teaches them an important family value, that they are cherished and loved.
    Anonymous

• I wont say spoiled, my two year old does the samething. Your daughter wants all of your attention.
    genna71

Answer by genna71 at 7:26 PM on Dec. 27, 2008