How do you deal with your 12 yr olds ...

how do you deal with your 12 yr olds attitude.God its killing me.I just need to know how to help him trough this tuff time.

ann202124

Asked by ann202124 at 10:47 AM on Dec. 27, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• I know how you feel because our 10 yr. old DS is going through the same thing. When you find the answer, please share it with the rest of us!
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 2:22 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I know exactly how you feel, this is the age when everything is a big deal. Always let him know you are there for him, it will pass.
    genna71

Answer by genna71 at 7:24 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Chain them to a wall? Oh wait I was just informed that isn't really an option....
    I tend to ignore what I can, and make it very known it is not being tolerated around me.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 11:48 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Mine is now 13 and still has the attitude but not nearly as bad but when she was twelve UGH... The one thing I did do was put my foot down IMMEDIATELY there will be respect! Every time she disrespected me I took action (took away the phone, tv, social events, friend gathering) so forth for the week. Every time she showed respect or earned things back she got them back. One thing that I did notice is, it is aggitating and the parents contribute to it by arguing. I found immediately when i stopped arguing this eliminated some of the problems with ME but my hubby argued with the tween which just made the attitude worse. I simply say my say, listen to her say, tell I her I agree or disagree if she yells or disrespects me the conversation ends IMMEDIATELY until she can be respectful Once a decision is made, case is closed and stays closed.
    TheFriskyKitty

Answer by TheFriskyKitty at 4:55 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I have the same problem,,,,,i am lost,,,,,she is stessing me out big time
    cameron536

Answer by cameron536 at 6:17 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I am not sure how bad your situation is but there is a guy named James Lipton that has a program/website devoted to issues like this one. You can take a look at his website .... EmpoweringParents(dot)com ... otherwise I agree with "TheFriskyKitty" and their approach to the problem, it works for us
    katsgoingkrazy

Answer by katsgoingkrazy at 12:30 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I feel your pain...my 12 year old son who has always been a sweet, loving child has become this quiet, secretive boy who doesn't even like when I look his way. He's easily embarassed by me, especially when his friends are around and he has a attitude that he's never had before.
    almomof2gr8boys

Answer by almomof2gr8boys at 11:40 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• My 15 y.o. went through this. I really didn't put to much into it then say that it wasn't very nice, if she talked to adults, friends, people like (and I) that they would like her attitude. They would distance themselves so they didn't have to deal with it. That was in 5th grade. She now is great, has too many friends to count. Tell them the facts of life when you are a miserable person to be around.
    Havingfun13

Answer by Havingfun13 at 11:03 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I meant people wouldn't like her attitude. Sorry, typo
    Havingfun13

Answer by Havingfun13 at 11:04 PM on Jan. 9, 2009