How was your husband during pregnancy?

My hubby wasn't a "good pregnant hubby" the first time and he's not this time either. He loves our son to death and is a very wonderful, hands-on daddy. I know he will be the same with this one, too, but he's just not into the pregnancy side of it. He doesn't like to see my belly and will hardly touch it. I feel annoyed, alone and angry. He's great otherwise. Just curious if anyone else had this situation and how you handled it. Thanks!

nikinak

Asked by nikinak at 11:19 AM on Dec. 27, 2008 in Pregnancy

• My husband was mainly indifferent. He felt that pregnancy was a normal part of life and that the wife should just deal with it. He wasn't unkind or anything, just not into it. He really wasn't very interested in the children either at first. It wasn't until they looked him in the eye and smiled that he really got hooked. :)

Answer by Bmat at 11:28 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• *raises my hand*

Me! Me!! I had Symphysis Pubic Dysfunction the last four months of my pregnancy. At the end it was so bad I was in tears every time I stood up. He was right there every time I would gasp in pain from moving. Then he'd be sitting at the computer and ask..."Hey, could you bring me a beer?" When I said something his answer..."Oh, I forgot" !!!!
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 11:34 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• My husband was always so fabulous when I was pregnant. The first time he would go out at all hours of the night for my cravings. He held my hand and my hair when I was sick...helped me with the house and told me I was beautiful. He loved to feel and watch the baby move. And during labor he was right there by my side and when Blake came out, he cried more than I anybody else in the room. When I was pregnant with Lulu I was on bedrest for almost 3 months. He took care of me and the house and the kids and everything...while working full time. He cooked for me and brought me meals and rubbed my back and my feet and legs. He was awesome!
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 11:44 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• My hubby has always been way into the pregnancy... This one is even more exciting than the first for him because he was away for the last 15 weeks with our first. He loves to talk to my belly and kiss it, and has taught our 20 month old dd to do the same lol. And he is the cutest daddy he loves playing with our daughter and is excited for our new little girl to get here! He is very supportive and helpful! I feel very lucky!
    SweetPea05

Answer by SweetPea05 at 11:47 AM on Dec. 27, 2008

• some men are like that and some arent. i was fortunate that my husband was really excited about the way i looked. some men are just a little scared i think, even some avoid sex because they think they will hurt the baby. try to think from his point of view, your body changes, your moods and habits can change, its really overwhelming for most men.
    im sure its nothing personal against you maybe its just the whole process of pregnancy that throws him off a little. try talking to him about how its making you feel because pregnant women need emotional and physical support. even if it doesnt resolve anything you might feel better for getting it off your chest
    learae

Answer by learae at 1:07 PM on Dec. 27, 2008