he is getting weird with her...

My daughter got a my size barbie for xmas. My son has way more interest in it than my daughter does. Its not too weird I guess but he always wants to hold her hand and hug her and kiss her and stuff. I dont want to say anything to him about it. I think it would just get worse. Is he just copying mom and dad with what he sees from us? Should we not show that kind of affection in front of him? I always thought showing affection to your spouse was setting a good example to the kids...am I wrong? Should I continue to let it be? Say something? Maybe I just find it strange because she is a barbie and not a person?

LovinEveryDay

Asked by LovinEveryDay at 12:05 PM on Dec. 27, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I don't think you're wrong at all for showing affection in front of your son :-) He's just at that age... they don't understand or care about "gender specific" toys. They just play however they feel like playing. My 3.5 yo son plays and nurtures my 4yo daughter's baby dolls.

I like to think he's kind and caring because he learned it at home... probably like your son ;-) ;-)
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 12:18 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• JUST IGNORE HIM HE IS ONLY PLAYING HE ISNT DOING ANY HARM AT ALL . AND ITS GOOD FOR KIDS TO SEE THAT MUM AND DAD LOVE EACH OTHER .
    loulou332

Answer by loulou332 at 12:51 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• boys AND girls need all kinds of play. has your daughter played with blocks, cars, balls... don't freak about the stereotype. it'll work out.
    tell dad, it doesn't mean he's gay. : )
    get him his own baby. not a barbie. girls don't really look like that. get a dolly with a soft body, like a cabbage patch or "little big ears" (like my son's Donny). it can be a girl or boy doll, just something he likes. don't panic. he's good. good luck!
    vicki - mother of 4, and preschool teacher
    vickiathome

Answer by vickiathome at 1:20 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I have read a study in my parenting class that says if you DONT let your son do this, or discourage it they are less likely to respect women, and are more likely to be abusive towards them. Not saying your son will be. But just let him play, it teaches him so many great things, boys who are told not to play with dolls, learn that women aren't good enough and have no respect for them...
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 2:09 PM on Dec. 27, 2008