How do I begin to potty train my 21 mth. old son?

Curlysigngirl

Asked by Curlysigngirl at 8:03 PM on Jul. 14, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i have heard if you put cheerios or fruit loops in the toilet and tell him to pee on them it works or send him with daddy
    hugheskendra

Answer by hugheskendra at 8:06 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• naked worked great for my son. Being summer time, it's a good time to start. Any kind of pants he used like a diaper. But the visual of SEEing himself pee, helped him figure out that "that feeling" was associated with needing to pee...then you rush them to the potty and reward them for any bit of pee that makes it in. Eventually they catch on that pee in the potty makes you happy! Stickers are a good reward.
    hippie_wantab

Answer by hippie_wantab at 8:18 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I agree make daddy start it...my son is 21 months also I am trying not to pressure him but every time daddy goes he just holds him so he can watch he is now saying pee pee and grabbing himself! LOL also we let him run around outside naked so he can pee wherever he wants and then we tell him yeah!!!! you went pee pee!! give it time my older 2 boys were not fully trained until 3.5!
    BUSYMAMA5

Answer by BUSYMAMA5 at 9:10 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• i as well as his father toke our son to the bathroom with us everytime that we go to get him use to the idea some kids are scared of the potty so you dont want him screaming every time you mention the word potty, just let him sit on it while you r using it
    buddababby

Answer by buddababby at 12:34 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• i first introduced my boys to the potty and let them get used to seeing it, they had the one where it converts into a sep stool but we used it to sit on and read books
    buddababby

Answer by buddababby at 5:28 PM on Sep. 6, 2010