ADHD, OCD, ODD, SENSORY INTEGRATION, and SEVERE SLEEP DISORDER. PLEASE HELP!

My 3, almost 4 year old has been recently diagnosed with all of the above. We have had Emme since she was 7 months old and she has only slept through the night a handful of times. She used to scream out in the night and sometimes it would go on for an hour or more. She didn't reach milestones at a normal pace, but as we worked w/her she caught on pretty quick. Her biological mom tested postitive for 5 different drugs during her first trimester, and we were told by social services that she could have problems in the future. As time went on she would wake up and cry, then she starting seeing things in her bed, like bugs, spiders, worms, flies, etc. I would try to reassure her that nothing was there and that she must have had a dream, but her fear was larger than any amount of logic. Her Phychologist finally put her on 2 mg. of melatonin at bedtime and that did help initiate sleep, but would not sustain it. Within a few hours she was up again. Her Neurologist added a small dose of Clonodine and increased the dose of melatonin to 4 mg. She was still waking up crying, but not to the degree of visually hallucinating for long periods. The doctors just recently bumped her melatonin up to 5 mg. , and that still does not sustain sleep. Along with the severe sleep disorder she is EXTREMELY defiant. Emme has to remain in control and does not transition well at all. She throws tantrums which are magnified by the normal 3 year old behavior, and is easily angered. There is never a "gray" area w/Emme, it's like all or nothing. She has a lot of sensory issues and is in OT and PT for those issues. She obsesses on things and repeats herself over and over. Emme is very impulsive she just does things w/no thought of consequence or danger, and she has a very high tolerance to pain. We have been to so many different doctors and are scheduled to see more in Sept. I am hoping someone will be able to help us get some of this under control. There is so much going on w/her and I could go on for hours, but I do not have the time or energy tonight. Is anyone having or know of anyone who has had similar issues? It is a challenge and struggle every day because we never know what kind of mood she is gonna wake up in and how the next thing we say will affect her. Thanks for listening and all advice is welcome.

mom.of.2girls

Asked by mom.of.2girls at 10:45 PM on Aug. 21, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• How is the relationship between your adopted dd and your biological dd?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 PM on Aug. 21, 2011

• There relationship is good. Hannah is very protective of Emme. Of course there is an age difference and Emme gets very angry when Hannah will decide to stop playing w/her and go do something different, but I think that is just typical sisterly behavior.
    mom.of.2girls

Comment by mom.of.2girls (original poster) at 11:06 PM on Aug. 21, 2011

• Have you tried Behavior Modification Therapy? It's used for ADHD, ODD, and OCD. Maybe find a specialized therapist who will be able to treat all of these issues?

Also, routines, charts (rule charts, schedules, etc), etc can help with the OCD and ADHD.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 11:07 PM on Aug. 21, 2011

• I haven't heard of Behavior Modification Therapy. We are going to a new behavioral and developmental Phychologist in Sept. I am hoping he will be able to do something. Her regular Phychologist did a referral for Emme to see a Phychiatrist for medication management, but they will not see her until she is 4 or 5. It seems like we are being constantly referred to different doctors. I understand though because of the nature of her problems, but it gets frustrating when you are seeking answers and they can't seem to help her right now.
    mom.of.2girls

Comment by mom.of.2girls (original poster) at 11:25 PM on Aug. 21, 2011

• I second BMT.
    ta2dirishlass

Answer by ta2dirishlass at 12:38 AM on Aug. 22, 2011

• I am very sorry to hear your struggle. as a child i went through alot of issues like you describe above it sounds as though she has some very early signs of schizophrenia. I am sorry to have to say that an i mean well when i say that. i have been in therepy since i was 5 years old. I had to go off my medication when i decided to have my children and am just now getting back on them. as hard as it is to watch it happen. living IN that world of hers is terrifing. i can't blame her for not sleeping. sereqil helps me with that it knocks me out for a garenteed 12 hour stretch. its a heavy medication but it helps my anger issues also. just some advice from someone who was on the other side of the fence. i was in her shoes. its difficult. i still have to wear shoes at all times even in the house because the ground feels so bad. and don't get me started on sand or flour. send me an add maybe i can help you see her view.
    mamabeautiful

Answer by mamabeautiful at 4:07 AM on Aug. 22, 2011

• We have heard her doctor mention schizophrania and bi-polar, but her doctor said she is really to young to diagnose. Emme is an excessive worrier and has anxiety over small things. She rarely plays outdoors because she has a HUGE phobia of bugs. I bought a slip-n-slide back in July and she could only play on for a little while. Grasshoppers started jumping and instead of getting past that and playing, she had to come in. If a fly gets in our car, I have to literally pull over and get it out because she will have a total melt down. My oldet daughter had field day before school let out, and the 4th graders was sitting close to where we were and she was getting upset thinking they were looking at her and it quickly spiraled out of control. My husband had to go walk w/her to remove her from the situation. There are just so many "quirks" that she has and she struggles with them daily.
    mom.of.2girls

Comment by mom.of.2girls (original poster) at 7:13 AM on Aug. 22, 2011