Marriage during pregnancy...have to change insurance??

SO and I been together for 4 years, we have a 2 1/2 year old and I'm 8 months pregnant with our second child. We are so happy and in love. I don't feel like waiting anymore to be legally married. I want to go to the courthouse and do all the paperwork and have a little ceremony there and then have our religious ceremony later on.

My only problem with this is insurance. I'm actually still covered under my father's insurance. He has great insurance through a federal job, it covers me up until I get married or turn 23. I obviously don't want to lose my insurance this close to the end of my pregnancy. Since I'm pregnant though, do you think the insurance would still cover me until I give birth? I remember hearing something about pregnancy being a special condition in which they'll continue coverage for until birth.

Does anyone know?I have BlueCross BlueShield. Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:58 PM on Dec. 27, 2008 in Relationships

• Most insurance will cover pregnancy up until 6 weeks post partum. I know Medicaid will, I don't know about the insurance you have. I think you should just wait. You don't have long at all.
    Anonymous

• I would wait until after the baby is here to get married and change insurance. Sounds like your father would have a better plan.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 1:05 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• You can call your current insurance and ask, but I would not count on it. When we moved mid-pregnancy and my insurance was cancelled, they did not cover the rest of my pregnancy. But the new insurance picked up where the old one left off. It all depends on the insurance. Some consider pregnancy a pre-existing condition and won't cover you mid-pregnancy. I really would be shocked if your insurance would cover it if you got married. If you lose your insurance, you might qualify for Medicaid for the rest of your pregnancy.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 1:09 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I would wait until AFTER your child is born--why create unnecessary stress with insurance companies--whether they will or will not cover your birth and post partum expenses, etc., when you already HAVE a good plan. You should just be enjoying your family! I'd just plan a VALENTINE'S DAY ceremony/wedding, It even falls on a SATURDAY and have BOTH of your children in it! Your older daughter can be the flower girl, and your new infant (in a stroller/carrier) can be the ring bearer...SWEET!!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:24 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• The insurance will cancel the day you get married. If you want to keep it, wait to get married until after the baby is born. I was on my dad's insurance until I got married or turned 25, didn't realize this until a month after we married and found out I didn't have medical coverage anymore. It totally sucked, my dad's insurance was awesome!!
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 3:02 PM on Dec. 27, 2008