Why is it a big deal............

that boys play with girl toys? Most people I know freak out about it, but yet they don't freak out when a girl is playing with boys toys. They are kids and are just curious and to them they don't see it as a boy or girl toy. What do you think?

Christine0813

Asked by Christine0813 at 1:09 PM on Dec. 27, 2008 in General Parenting

• I think that it does not matter what supposedly gender toys children play with. I do not care if my grandsons play with dolls anymore than I would care if my granddaughter played with a truck. I do not like when children play with guns though.
    lynnem1211

Answer by lynnem1211 at 12:37 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Do people still get upset about that stuff? My kids share toys all the time and I could care less. For my younger son's 2nd Christmas we bought him a baby, lol. He loved it!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:13 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• In our house --- having 1 girl & 3 boys -- I MAKE my boys play with girlie toys! LOL It's not fair that they have each other to play 'boy things' with and she doesn't have another girl to play with.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:13 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Not to mention kids don't see "boy toys" or "girl toys" they just see a toy that looks fun to play with. Some people get so worked up about this, but I don't see a big deal about it. It's a little silly if you ask me.
    evilabbysmom

Answer by evilabbysmom at 1:21 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I only have boys...and to be honest they only have "boys toys". When they go to playgroups or something like that, they take notice of "girl toys" but don't really pay them much attention.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:23 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• My 23 mo has a baby. It's a boy baby, but it's a baby. I don't see anything wrong in that. He likes to carry his baby around the house and has to have him when he goes to bed. He never wants to take it anywhere though, but if he did I wouldn't care. Surprisingly my husband doesn't mind it either. I think it's a great way to promote nurturing. Yeah my boys have Nerf guns and cars and Dinosaur's and they love to rough house, but a little bit of a soft touch and nurturing every now and then is a good thing.
    Anonymous

• My dd and grandson share toys all the time. They are 4 & 2. I dont see a problem? He plays with her kitchen and I figure he will just know how to cook.

Answer by gemgem at 1:33 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• my 8yo and 4yo girls always attack my 7yo boy for makeovers and teaparties, he doesnt mind and half the time HE is bugging THEM for a maveover or teaparty, i dont care, when they put make-up on him and he is proud of the way he looks, i just call him connie (his name is conner), and he goes with the joke
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 1:59 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• My 18 month old plays with his cousin's dolls probably more than she does but my oldest son, who is 5, is always like..."Ugh, girl's toys!"
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 2:13 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• We bought my twins boys twin baby dolls for Christmas one year. They were boy dolls. Dressed in blue. Now the baby plays with " Bob" all the time. It lets them role play to be a dad. Or sometimes they are the mom. Sometimes, the doll is a football. lol
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 3:06 PM on Dec. 27, 2008