Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am trying to change my married name back to maiden name , I dont know If I am going to get into trouble with this what do you think ?

I am trying to change my married name back to maiden name , I dont know If I am going to get into trouble with this what do you think ?
I am trying to change my married name back to maiden name , I dont know If I am going to get into trouble with this what do you think ?

I am trying to change my married name to my maiden name, I was wondering what does the judge use to make his decision other then an ID, Birth Certificate , and BCI. I thought that my divorce was straightened out and I have gotten medical assistance from the state with my maiden name. I did not know that it did not go through, so I am worried if this is going to cause a problem with changing my name back. Most of my things are in my maiden name, like banking and others. Should it really be a problem since I do not have a criminal record.
Additional Details
I am not divorced yet, and this divorce is gonna take forever it seems.So i was trying to do a legal name change, I have student loans in my maiden name but not in his name
I mean with state assistance and everything having id in my maiden name will that get me in trouble ?

I mean I did not even start a divorce here, I thought he had taken care of it in the state he was in. I dont understand though howI was able to use my social security number when it was under my married name and I was using my madien name.

Should I go to court or just leave it the way it is for now

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:36 PM on Aug. 21, 2011 in Relationships

Answers (6)
  • When your divorce goes before the judge you have to ask him to return your maiden name. Then you take your court order and go to the DMV and social security to have it changed on those documents. You may be able to change them just with your birth certificate, I would check.

    Answer by ohwrite at 11:39 PM on Aug. 21, 2011

  • I'm not sure why you're so worried. It shouldn't be a problem to change it back. Lots of people do this all the time with or without divorce. Someone once got his name changed to some funny name like Lord Thunder Rage or something like that. My brother got his name changed because he didn't like it, simple as that. In the future, just to avoid the paperwork and court, just don't use a married name or hyphenate it.

    The following link has a lot of useful info but please note it's for Washington state and though most states tend to be very similar, it may not be entirely the same.

    Some states accept common law name changes where you just start using the new name and sign an affidavit and others require a petition to the court.

    Answer by hellokittykat at 1:58 AM on Aug. 22, 2011

  • People change their name all the time, it doesn't matter because the loans are linked to your SSN, for your own peace of mind you should call and let them know that your name has changed. I have financial accounts in both my maiden and married names, some I have both names listed. I wanted to have a record of my maiden name on credit reports so I've never completely stopped using my maiden name, since I have a history using both names and they are linked to my SSN it's not a problem.


    Answer by RyansMom001 at 4:02 AM on Aug. 22, 2011

  • You won't get in trouble, just go to court and have your name changed back and then get ALL your credit cards, license, social security card changed back.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:36 PM on Aug. 22, 2011

  • My sister is going thru the same thing right now... she has taken her divorce papers (not the final ones, but the ones
    that she was served with) and has gotten her name changed on her drivers lic and ss card...and at her job, banks...etc..
    You won't or should not get into trouble... just make sure that your request for name change is listed in the divorce papers

    Answer by gmasboy at 1:13 PM on Aug. 22, 2011

  • Just make sure that a request to revert your name back to your maiden name is made on the divorce papers or the judge will not do it.

    Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 3:47 PM on Aug. 22, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.