when will she deliver?

OK so my pup is pregnant (please dont do the whole you should have had her fixed i know....this was an accident) so anyways, her nipples are huge and she has obvios breast tissue her belly is huge and saggy. My question is have any of you had a dog deliver and if you did how did you know it was time?? i want to get a babysitter for my DD when the time comes. her normal temp is around 100.4 but this morning it went down to 99.6 but now its up to 100.5 how will i know???

Kennadismom

Asked by Kennadismom at 1:13 PM on Dec. 27, 2008 in Pets

• Gestation for most dogs is 63 days from date of conception.

Answer by gemgem at 1:28 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• This article tells you how to prepare. It also is recommended that the dog be under the care of a veterinarian.http://www.petplace.com/dogs/normal-labor-and-delivery-in-the-dog/page1.aspx
    " As the time of delivery approaches, you may want to make a whelping box to provide a safe and clean area for your dog to deliver. Whelping boxes are intended to be easily accessed by the mother but escape proof for the new arrivals. You can use wood, Formica or any building material that is easy to clean. Make the box large enough for the bitch to comfortably stretch out. Make sure the sides are just low enough for the mother to step over and place the box in a warm, dry, draft-free area. If possible, try to choose a quiet and secluded area. Initially, place newspapers on the bottom of the box for easy clean up. Once all the puppies are born, place blankets or towels to provide some footing for the puppies. "

Answer by Bmat at 1:46 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• cont'd:
    "Be aware that you must get the bitch used to the whelping box before the birth. If not, she may make her own decision on where to have the puppies – and this may be a closet, a pile of fresh clean laundry or even in the middle of your bed!"An additional suggestion is to have your dog examined by a veterinarian toward the end of pregnancy. A thorough physical exam, along with ultrasound or X-rays can help determine how many puppies you can expect. This way, you will know when she is done delivering and not just in another resting phase between pups."

Answer by Bmat at 1:47 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• May I ask why you wouldn't want your daughter around? I saw our cat give birth when I was younger, and I still remember it and how neat it was. It's a fantastic learning experience.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 3:29 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• only because she is only 6 mos old and if something happens to the dog i wouldnt be able to care for both at the same time.
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 5:53 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I have raised pomeranians for years. First off, I usually get a playpen for my dogs and get them used to it When you can squeeze the nipples and get milk, she is about ready. She will not eat on the day she is getting ready. She will gather clothes, papers, to make a nest for her puppies. When you take her out, make sure she comes back in. Keep her out from under beds. She will probably shake, and push down when she is in labor. You can tell when she is in labor. , didn't you have to push? It is the same way for a dog. You
    have to watch her if she is small. One of my poms was too small and had to have a c-section. It was an emergency. She lost all of her puppies. It is never a good idea to let a female get preg. on the first heat. If you have any more ??? I'll be happy to answer them
    pommom335
    POMMOM335

Answer by POMMOM335 at 7:32 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I had to delete a lot of stuff out because it was more than 1000 characters. I guess I used too many words. If you have any questions you may email me at vickiritter@yahoo.com
    Lots of luck. Oh, by the way they usually have them in the middle of the night. When the vet is closed. It was almost 400 dollars for our pom.
    POMMOM335

Answer by POMMOM335 at 7:39 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• My dog had her puppies (accident) about 2.5 months after her heat ended. The morning she had them she had an empty bag hanging out of her and I knew she was going to have the puppies that day. She didn't have any vet visits because it was unexpected and I couldn't afford it. I put her in her crate and watched her really carefully. It was her first litter and she had 4 Pomeranian/Jack Russel mixes. Just be careful trying to help her because my dog would snap at me if I got close to the crate while she was having them and after she had them. If you do crate her make sure you give her lots of time to be out of the crate because I left my dog in there too long and she started snapping at the puppies. One of her puppies was 3/4 her size and weighed more than she did when he was 8 weeks old and she would not wean them.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:21 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• usually since her temp dropped she should be having them very soon. I dont know if you have already started this but she should be on puppy food now and kept on it until all the pups are weaned. Since I cant type a lot here,come and join my group and look at the information I have already posted about this. The name of my group is called The Animal Den.

Good Luck and keep a close eye on her
    SherriX2

Answer by SherriX2 at 2:53 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• 63 to 65 days from the date of conception. Could be about an hour between pups. Please get her fixed after she gives birth if you can't contain her for her own sake.
    Anonymous