Why is my female pup humping?

My female German Shepard will be 5 months old Jan 2... I had no idea, females humped! She only does it on her big pillow (that is her bed) I am guessing she is moving into puberty? Is it time to get her spayed?

lynn63042

Asked by lynn63042 at 1:25 PM on Dec. 27, 2008 in Pets

• Time to spay,but after she is done from being in heat.
    Anonymous

• it is not all the time she is doing it.... just here and there
    lynn63042

Answer by lynn63042 at 1:37 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• You should have gotten her spayed earlier, but yes, as soon as she's done with this round of being in heat, get her spayed.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 3:27 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• It is an action that dogs do to claim top dog and show that they are in charge of the group and on the top of the pecking order. It is a thing that dogs are born with and really I don't think they know what their doing when they are younger, but maybe they do.
    lakewinds

Answer by lakewinds at 4:00 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• She's showing the pillow who is more dominent. Look into getting her fixed (but after atleast her first heat and over a year old) and it should stop. lol, no biggy, humping is common in puppies, even females.
    Rachie7987

Answer by Rachie7987 at 4:31 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• my dog humped when she was little just because. it had nothing to do with her heat cycle (she was 12 weeks when she did it) its fine
    Anonymous

• I have been raising pomeranians for years and years. All the dogs act like they are humping to show who is the top dog. Even the females. It has nothing to do with procreation. I had my females spayed and they do it even more than they did before. When they do it to one of my friends, I tell them to sit and tell them no, strongly. It wii eventually sink in that it is not acceptable.
    POMMOM335

Answer by POMMOM335 at 7:13 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Definitely get her spayed, if that doesn't solve the problem, look into a good trainer. They can tell you what is going on and it's nice to have one you can call when you need help. I adore Shepherds, they are big in to pack placement though. It could be dominance or practice, puppies can be odd.....
    AngieJ77

Answer by AngieJ77 at 11:30 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• She will not quit till she is spayed.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:06 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• even after you spay she may still hump.. the reason she is humping, is dominance.. say if you had another dog, and she wanted to show dominance to that dog, she would mount that dog
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 12:24 AM on Dec. 28, 2008