Breast feeding til two...maybe longer?

The other day I wrote a question about how people felt about extended breastfeeding...I want to breast feed my next til around two.
some people thought it was weird, so I was wondering if people think that it is different to pump and give a two year old a sippy cup of the breast milk??
I am going to breast feed either way...but I am wondering people's opinion. And once again...please no arguing, this isn't meant to offend people, or cause problems

Mikayla_lynn

Asked by Mikayla_lynn at 1:40 PM on Dec. 27, 2008 in General Parenting

• i think if you pump and give that would be ok. But to have a two year old still attached to the boob is a little much. (imo) I am all for mom's who can breastfeed (i wasn't able to)
    But as i said if you pump and give it in a sippy cup that would be ok.
    lonelymommyof2

Answer by lonelymommyof2 at 1:43 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I nurse my toddler and will untill SHE wants to stop. My mom nursed my little brother till he started kindergarten and There are MANY moms here who nurse their 5-6 year olds. There is nothing wrong with it as long as your baby wants to do it. It is sooooooo healthy. If you or baby is uncomfortable, then pump. But there is NOTHING wrong with nursing until the feeling to quite is mutual.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 1:47 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I pumped for 8 months and was so thrilled to stop pumping I can't imagine doing it for 2 years. I still nurse and my son is 16 months.  I don't go around advertising it or making a big deal out of it because I know some people think he's too old. It's none of their business so I just don't bring it up.

I don't see anything wrong with BF until the age of 2. I don't think there is a magic age when baby is too old. But I do see a point where mom is trying to hang onto something that is for babies when she is the mother of a young child. It's up to you and your baby when it's time to stop.

If you want to BF do it. Don't pump because you think other people will approve. Pumping is a pain and a wast of time if you can BF.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 1:48 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• It's all up to you. I would pump and put it into a cup. But that is just my personal preference.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 2:10 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Considering every medical organization in the world other than the overly-PC and corrupt AAP says that two years should be the absolute minimum, I think you're right on track.
    Ignore the naysayers who have issues with their breasts being for nourishment of an older child. When you have a two year old at your breast, it's not disgusting. They're still so little at that point and it's not sexual in the slightest. It's obvious those women never tried to really pump either. It hurts, it's uncomfortable, it doesn't get as much milk as the child would, it's harder to keep up your supply that way... Also, keep in mind that older kids aren't going to need to nurse in public, so that's not even really an issue.
    (cont)
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 2:16 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• (cont)

Considering most children will never self-wean before 18 months to 2 years, it's obvious that even nature intended them to nurse for about that long. It's also REALLY healthy for both the child and the mother, both mentally and physically. Not long after, your kiddo will wean themselves, and you've done well and given both your and your child gifts of health that will last for both your lifetimes.

Don't let the US's crappy attitude against breastfeeding stop you from doing what's best for your kiddo. :)
    RanaAurora

• There's no reason to wean a child, especially before two years. There's no magical age when breastmilk becomes invaluable and children suddenly have the nutritional needs identical to a calf. There are SO MANY reason to continue to breast feed until two and longer, far too many to list here.  In short, it's natural and über healthy on all levels.  Definitely check out the Breastfeeding Tots group, it's loaded with info and support.

jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 2:27 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I think it is an awesome WONDERFUL idea to BF your youngins as long as THEY WANT TO!!! And I think you should ignore all the people who think its weird!
    the only problem i see is if you wean the kid from the boob to pump, your supply will eventually dwindle down to nothing... your boobs want and LOVE your baby nursing on them!
    wendy46121

Answer by wendy46121 at 2:55 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• It doesn't matter what anyone thinks except you--and you are doing the best thing you can for your child.
    JoyeAustin

Answer by JoyeAustin at 3:12 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I dont have a problem with it. Many people will, but F'em. My 3rd child nursed until she was 2 1/2. Peopl said shit and i didnt care. She slowly stopped during the day and then for like 2 months she only nursed at night. Then one day, BAM. She just didnt do it anymore. But you know whats funny? She plays "mommy" with her dolls and when they are "hungry" she pulls up her shirt and nurses them. It cracks me up.
    JDmommyJD

Answer by JDmommyJD at 3:15 PM on Dec. 27, 2008