baby cough

I know that checking with pediatrician is best, and I will. But I want mom's advice on this one too.

My daughter is coughing, but mainly only when she is laying down/sleeping. She has no temperature, she is in good spirits, there is no runny nose (there was at first)....is this a "wait it out, it will pass" or should I make an appointment to see doc?

We are running the humidifier for her and making sure she has clear nasal passages. She is almost 11 months old.

Thanks for any advice!

rai.of.sunshine

Asked by rai.of.sunshine at 1:45 PM on Dec. 27, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son had this!!!! and i was sooooo confused too. He would only get a cough in the morning or evening or when he woke up from naps. He got over it. It took a few weeks and i took him to the doc and he was 100 percent healthy. The doctor told me it was more than likely drainage from lying down and stuff. but its always better safe than sorry! :)

JennyBenny183

Answer by JennyBenny183 at 2:08 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• You will be going to her year check up probably soon. I would wait it out if she seems happy and healthy and then ask when you go to her apt.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 3:25 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Sounds like allergies...? The post nasel drip makes them cough. I'd vacuum the bedroom really well, wash linens in no scent detergent and change them frequently (invest in a hypo allergenic pillow when she's old enough), and raise the head of the bed slightly. You can fold up a blanket and slip it between the mattress and boxspring(or crib)...that works for us. Best wishes~
    realtorshelly

Answer by realtorshelly at 3:31 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I always stuck a pillow under the crib mattress to elevate DD's head, and that helped tremendously. Also run a humidifier. You don't want to put Vicks on the baby (what with all those nasty chemicals) but you can smear some on a washcloth and hang it from the corner of baby's crib. Some diluted eucalyptus oils smeared on baby's chest and back may help to clear it up also.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 3:50 PM on Dec. 27, 2008