Brother as a personal trainer?

My brother is a personal trainer. I've seen some of his clients, he does good work. He offered to write up a plan for me as a birthday present and to work with me a few nights a week (I had mentioned wanting to get into shape) so I took him up on it. Have any of you had a family member help you lose weight like this? My mom seems to think it's a bad idea. She thinks if the weight doesn't come off I'll resent him for it. I'm just happy that he offered to help and I don't have to pay for a gym membership (I can just go to where he works).

angiemgiu

Asked by angiemgiu at 1:50 PM on Dec. 27, 2008 in Diet & Fitness

• I don't think it's a bad idea and you shouldn't blame your brother for anything even if you don't get the results you want because he doesn't even have to help you for free anyway. He's offering you this as a gift. I think it's a great idea.
    Anonymous

• I just realized you said. brother.. for some reason i read brother in law.. i would have give you other advice..take your brother up on it.. and dont blame him.. and take his advice.. he knows. great idea
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 3:30 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• It could work, or it could be annoying (to both of you). Take him seriously and try not to think of him as your brother at the gym. My brother isn't a personal trainer, but is seriously fit. I also work out, I just never have with him. I spent a lot of time being annoyed at all of his "advice" (he is kindof a know it all).
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 3:55 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I think as long as you don't take his pushing you as criticism and can differentiate him as your personal trainer vs your brother, you'll be fine.
    My DH is my Crossfit coach and it works out well. I treat him as I would any coach and he treats me the same as any other client.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 10:23 PM on Dec. 27, 2008