I know a glass of wine or beer is ok while nursing but what about the stronger stuff? How long do I need to pump and dump if I drink?

Ritchiemama3

Asked by Ritchiemama3 at 1:56 PM on Dec. 27, 2008 in Health

• IDK...opinions vary from not having to at all to pump and dumping for days. I found out they sell milk test strips at Babies R Us (and I'm sure you could find them online) that will tell you if there is alcohol in your milk.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 1:59 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Never any need to pump and dump. Alcohol is alcohol, doesn't matter what kind. Safe to drive = safe to nurse, no matter what you drink.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:05 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• By the time the alcohol goes through your system it's almost non existent in your milk.
    Anonymous

• Pumping and dumping is worthless. As long as there's alcohol in your blood, it's in your milk. It also LEAVES your milk at the same rate it leaves your blood. So the only reason to pump and dump is if your baby is being watched by someone else, and you're pumping just to keep up your supply.

Also, one glass of wine or one beer is equal to one shot of harder liquor, like vodka.
    What you do depends on how much you drink and how long it's going to be until you nurse again.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 3:01 PM on Dec. 27, 2008